Old Timer

In the course of researching my family tree, I chance upon this far out relative a couple of days ago. Living up a long lane on the edge of the Sperrin mountains (Northern Ireland), he's coming 77 yrs of age, keeps a few sucking cows, and apart from a few cats, he lives all alone. And I almost forgot, he bakes his own bread. I didn't have long to spend with him, but in the short time that I was there, the stories and memories were awesome. I intend to call back DV. I remember, 20 years ago there were a few such homes in that part of the country, but most of the folk have passed on - this could well be the last of its kind in this area. I get that urge coming over me that something here needs recording, before it passes away completely!

Now here's the question - I know that similar characters and homesteads were commonplace across these islands once upon a time, but how many are left today in 2007? What about the West of Ireland, the Yorkshire Dales, the Scottish Highlands etc?

Zek.

post-1826-1186704253.jpg

post-1826-1186704265_thumb.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter
I intend to call back DV.

Sorry, mate; What the f*ck Does " DV " mean? Only it's honestly bugging the shit out of me and I just can't work it out! :icon_redface:

That aside; Good on ye for working on ye 'Family Tree' :good: I'm at it most days and nights here myself. In fact, I've just finished a particularly gruelling session this evening. Great though, isn't it?

I'll hope to get back to this when I'm a bit fresher. Mheanwhile, I can't help but wonder at ye apparrent amazement of the mans life style ~ I live in a similar property and manner myself. I wouldn't change it for the world either. Never been so contented :)

Probably the biggest differance is that I have a computer. Someone suggested only tonight that they knew where I could pick up a free tv? I laughed in their face and told them; If I ever came home to find one of those things on my property, it'd be smashed and dumped before I even sat down! :laugh:

Honestly; That man is Living! :yes:

I was in Co Wicklow a few years back, one night I had to to call on a farmer in the Wicklow mountains, when I got there I thought "no one home", but went round the back to knock on the door, looked in through the kitchen window. Oil lamp on kitchen table, loaf of bread and said farmer with his head on his arms fast asleep, sheepdog laid in front of peat fire, and a radio in the background. Knocked on door, dog barking, "who's there", explained who I was and what I wanted, and the door was unlocked and opened and I was staring at an old man holding a British Service Revolver. Anyway, went in, got talking, he had the gun for the "robbers", b*****ds from the outskirts of Dublin on drugs and burgling people like this. He had no electric, no telephone, got his water from a pump, just the radio and the dog for company, he fed me on home made soda bread and butter, and got me well pissed on somthing I pretended to like but made me shiver everytime I swallowed it. I sometimes think of him, wonder if he is still alive, or still living in fear of the dregs of modern society.

I also went into a "house" in Kildare, one room, open fire/range at one end, bed behind a curtain at the other, just a kitchen table and chairs in between.

Sorry, mate; What the f*ck Does " DV " mean? Only it's honestly bugging the shit out of me and I just can't work it out! :icon_redface:

I means 'God willing' - I think it's Latin, but I'm not sure - some folk in the west say 'please God'. Simply put, I'm not presumming.

That aside; Good on ye for working on ye 'Family Tree' :good: I'm at it most days and nights here myself. In fact, I've just finished a particularly gruelling session this evening. Great though, isn't it?

Sometimes it's fun, sometimes I think, 'what's the point?'. Sometimes I think 'there's a lifestyle in these few miles of countryside, that needs recording before it's totally lost - more important maybe than my family tree'.

I'll hope to get back to this when I'm a bit fresher. Mheanwhile, I can't help but wonder at ye apparrent amazement of the mans life style ~ I live in a similar property and manner myself. I wouldn't change it for the world either. Never been so contented :)

:thumbs:

Probably the biggest differance is that I have a computer. Someone suggested only tonight that they knew where I could pick up a free tv? I laughed in their face and told them; If I ever came home to find one of those things on my property, it'd be smashed and dumped before I even sat down! :laugh:

Don't have a TV myself, or a mobile phone - and I burn mostly turf, tho' I do use a grate in the fireplace :D

Honestly; That man is Living! :yes:

Agreed

Zek.

WELL LADS ,

INTERSTING CRAIC .............. FEW SEASONS AGO I WAS OVER IN FERMANAGH VISITING SOME LADS FOR A BIT OF SPORT ............... FECKIN LOVED IT ! ... FELT REALLY WELL AND AT HOME SO TO SPEAK , ...........

GOT BACK HOME AND A FEW DAYS LATER I BUMPED INTO MY COUSIN WHOS DOING HIS FAMILY TREE , NOW THEN WHEN I MENTIONED FERMANAGH IT SEEMED THAT MY MOTHERS SIDE WERE ALL ORIGINALLY FROM THERE ........ STRANGE AS I WAS SURE THEY WERE ALL FROM UP THE DALE . SEEMS NOT ..............AND ..... APPARENTLY DROPPED THE " Mac " FROM THE SURNAME :blink:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING :big_boss:

Guest baldie

Feckin hell Al, thats shit luck, but it could have been worse, they could have been scotch.

:D

Where i go fishin in cavan, theres men still living like that...and i tell you what...i bloody envy them, they aint gonna die of a stress related heart attack, like i am, God bless them.