..... I cut my first catty from 18mm ply, shaped it , rounded and sanded it.

Really pleased with the results, I thought I'd fit some temporary bands, to practise fastening them on properly, until my Theraband arrives.

In the back garden, I gave it a few twangs, and all seemed fine. Then I spotted a small, round stone !

I pulled back the elastic and took aim at one of my wife's garden ornaments - after all, I'd never hit it from this dist.....oh, crap !!

Upshot is that I've seriously got the bug and she hasn't noticed yet ! But I have a couple of beginner questions -

1 - What is the best oil to treat the wood with ?

2 - (And I'm probably being a bit thick here !) Is a 'double band' two seperate pieces of elastic per fork, or one piece doubled over lengthways per fork ?

Thanks, guys and thanks BPR !!

Inspired by me....why, thankyou :thumbs:

Loads of things to treat your wood with....

Soak it in boiled linseed oil for 24 hours, let it dry then coat with beeswax.....

Or tru oil :thumbs: ....

Doubled bands can be either....

Usually its just 2 strips of elastic.... but some people just double it over to save cutting....

That catty i have for sale, if you want it you can have it :thumbs:

If you are just target shooting then one strip of theraband gold is adequate to shoot 9.5mm steel with, there are varying tapers and lengths you can try out until you find one that suits you. Using bands that are too powerful for your ammo will not result in faster speeds, they will just be harder to draw.

As for the best oil, it depends what you are looking for in the finish, if it's just something to bring out the grain then I would choose a danish or tung oil which can just be applied by cloth. If you are looking for something that is more durable then a poly, CA or hard wax oil would be more suitable.

Hope that helps a bit,

Jim.

• Like 1