Firing Pin (Shotgun)

Hi all

I have an Essex side by side shotgun. Recently, the firing pin broke on one side. I have removed this but would like to know if new ones can be purchased or, would anyone know anyone who can make one.

This has been a great little gun for me and would like to continue using it.

Any help would be great.

I can post pics if needed.

Edited by maktayla

Hi all

I have an Essex side by side shotgun. Recently, the firing broke on one side. I have removed this but would like to know if new ones can be purchased or, would anyone know anyone who can make one.

This has been a great little gun for me and would like to continue using it.

Any help would be great.

I can post pics if needed.

try sending these an email https://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2&id=&Search=Yes&sppp=50

Thankyou Paulus. I have sent them an email. Glad you answered my post. As you can see, by this post i managed, with your help, to remove the disk and then the firing pin. Thanks

if you struggle to find one, you can get knock one up from a drill bit of the same diameter :thumbs:

Just had the firing pin jammup in fired position on a black Sabel sxs and can,t get the gun to open ,how did you manage it ?

i see you not far from me too !

try wd40 or tapping the side

Tried that and tried a feeler gauge in between action and barrels but no joy ,my mate reckons the spring has distorted behind the pin thats why it won,t return .

Just had the firing pin jammup in fired position on a black Sabel sxs and can,t get the gun to open ,how did you manage it ?

Tried that and tried a feeler gauge in between action and barrels but no joy ,my mate reckons the spring has distorted behind the pin thats why it won,t return .

try shoving a cleaning rod down the bore and see if it will move with a tap, i assume you taken the fore stock off and tried to open it :hmm:

If the spring is stuck forward, it'll need some considerable force to move the pin back which may ultimately require the services of a gun smith.

A very thin/flat chisel I used the last time one of my side by sides threw the pin forward and managed to wedge it back far enough to open the gun so it could be worked on.

Hi hawekeye

I was a bit more fortunate than you. My firing pin failed to fire from the cocked position.

I have included some pics with this post so as to get a better idea of what the pins look like.

The pin on the left is whole whereby the one on the right is the faulty one with the back part snapped off. Inside the trigger unit two hammers come forward to strike these parts of the pins hence pushing it forward to strike the primer. There are also two little springs to go over the actual firing pin itself. These are in good condition.

Unfortunately I dont have the tools to make one of these.

post-65494-0-69981100-1365330542.jpg

post-65494-0-30082700-1365330559.jpg

try shoving a cleaning rod down the bore and see if it will move with a tap, i assume you taken the fore stock off and tried to open it :hmm:

Yes first thing I tried ,also tried to recock it using forend on levers but no joy .

Hi hawekeye

I was a bit more fortunate than you. My firing pin failed to fire from the cocked position.

I have included some pics with this post so as to get a better idea of what the pins look like.

The pin on the left is whole whereby the one on the right is the faulty one with the back part snapped off. Inside the trigger unit two hammers come forward to strike these parts of the pins hence pushing it forward to strike the primer. There are also two little springs to go over the actual firing pin itself. These are in good condition.

Unfortunately I dont have the tools to make one of these.

quote .

Looks like a trip to a gunsmith for me , did you have any luck getting a replacement part for the broken pin , I had trouble with a faulty firing pin unit on a b/a rifle but got a replacement from J.Knibbs a few years back .

Well I dropped this gun off last weekend at a gunsmith but not heard anything from them rang them several times but no answer ,thought it would have been simple fix for someone with the right tools !

it should be :yes: