Thinking Of Getting Some Ducks

Chiltern's if you want eggs, they hardly miss a day. Don't underestimate the mess ducks make. We have ours in a run of 50 metres of poultry mesh, & the mud bath they make is something else. On a small scale you may be better keeping them on concrete or a gravel area. A small dog type kennel is fine to lock them in at night.

Chiltern's if you want eggs, they hardly miss a day. Don't underestimate the mess ducks make. We have ours in a run of 50 metres of poultry mesh, & the mud bath they make is something else. On a small scale you may be better keeping them on concrete or a gravel area. A small dog type kennel is fine to lock them in at night.

Cheers Pauly, I'm only going to get a couple. I kept one some years ago when I had a smaller garden and the mess was considerably more than the chickens as you say. But I've got a bigger bit of land now so I'm hoping they wont be quite so noticeable.

I was thinking of putting an old hen hut at the end of the chicken run which is paved with slabs and keep them with the chickens, are they likely to use it or just sleep and lay in the run?

khaki campbells, an egg a day, always by 10 am or so ducks normally lay, and with these, if you havent got a pond, a plastic bowl with water in will suffice them, as long as they can preen and f**k about in it lol. big beautifull eggs.

Thanks for the replies, found some khaki Campbell's but I'm going to have a look at the local market tomorrow to see if they've got any there first.

I'm wary about the mess but they've got about a 1/4 of an acre which I'm hoping should be enough to stop them churning it up.

I've split the hen run into two for now with a sheep hurdle between the two in the hope that it'll reduce the amount of fighting once I take the hurdle down and loose them into the garden.

Cheers

Khaki Campbell's are laying better than the hens, two ducks = 2 eggs a day.

They take them selves into the hut I put in the chicken run at night and so far haven't made too much mess.

They are though escape artists, crawling under fencing and squeezing through sheep fencing and eat like horses.

Very impressed with them.