Making First Ever Longnet

Kenny.B

Hi guys and gals,

As title says im making my first ever longnet, or trying to. ive threw a few purse nets together so thought ide have a go.

Ive made it on a large straight wire so i can slip it of, and its 16 meshes deep.

Now then, ive been reading other threads about "selvedge" Can someone please explain this?

Also "baggage" I understand a 100yrd longnet actually needs 150yrds of net, this gives 50% baggage? So 50yrds will need 75yrds of net?

Is the net then fixed evenly at intervals to the top and bottom lines to prevent it all gathering one end?

And i asume it only needs lines top and bottom, as there will be a pin at each end. Only ive read some threads where the net is "looped" like a purse net.

I apologise in advance for what may seem like dumb ass questions, but we all learn somehow.

Im having a go!!!

Kenny.....

• Like 1

Hi guys and gals,

As title says im making my first ever longnet, or trying to. ive threw a few purse nets together so thought ide have a go.

Ive made it on a large straight wire so i can slip it of, and its 16 meshes deep.

Now then, ive been reading other threads about "selvedge" Can someone please explain this?

Also "baggage" I understand a 100yrd longnet actually needs 150yrds of net, this gives 50% baggage? So 50yrds will need 75yrds of net?

Is the net then fixed evenly at intervals to the top and bottom lines to prevent it all gathering one end?

And i asume it only needs lines top and bottom, as there will be a pin at each end. Only ive read some threads where the net is "looped" like a purse net.

I apologise in advance for what may seem like dumb ass questions, but we all learn somehow.

Im having a go!!!

Kenny.....

First off,16 meshes is too deep for a long net. the net needs to be around the 60 inches in depth. with a 4" mesh 2" board that would be 14 meshes for the body of the net and a selvedge row each side of the net.

The selvedge is put onto the net for a couple of reasons the main one being that it is a thicker twine than the body of the net so stops the meshes wearing out so quickly as they slide along the lines.

2010_0625finishednet0004.jpg

The easiest way I have found of adding the selvedges is to place the net on a pole then add the selvedges to one side and then turn the net around and add the other side.

2010_062225ynetselvedge0016.jpg

Slack or bagging, a net that only has 50% slack is of no use at all. a good net needs to be rigged by halves or 100% slack or bag. that is 100 yards of netting to make a 50 yard net.

You can tie the net in at intervals if you wish and some people like it others don't.

The running lines are threaded through the selvedge rows and are joined once through the endpins.

2010_050925ynet0009.jpg

TC

• Like 6

Hi guys and gals,

Im having a go!!!

Kenny.....

First off,16 meshes is too deep for a long net. the net needs to be around the 60 inches in depth. with a 4" mesh 2" board that would be 14 meshes for the body of the net and a selvedge row each side of the net.

The selvedge is put onto the net for a couple of reasons the main one being that it is a thicker twine than the body of the net so stops the meshes wearing out so quickly as they slide along the lines.

The easiest way I have found of adding the selvedges is to place the net on a pole then add the selvedges to one side and then turn the net around and add the other side.

Slack or bagging, a net that only has 50% slack is of no use at all. a good net needs to be rigged by halves or 100% slack or bag. that is 100 yards of netting to make a 50 yard net.

You can tie the net in at intervals if you wish and some people like it others don't.

The running lines are threaded through the selvedge rows and are joined once through the endpins.

2010_050925ynet0009.jpg

TC

that's some net tiercel.... :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

Im having a go!!!

Kenny.....

2010_050925ynet0009.jpg

TC

True craftsmanship right there sir.