First Of Second Focal Plane - Which Is Best

This may well start more of a debate than answer my question, but I'm looking at buying a new long range scope and have come across a few of

the key players offering a the above choice. Does anyone have any experience of the FFP type and a preference for a certain make?

Thanks.

FFP has the following attributes:

+:

- it doesn't move with magnification change so the bullet impact point stays the same all the time

- reticle subtensions stay the same at all magnifications, so you use them for bullet drop compensation or range estimating

- the construction of FFP scopes is more robust

- for hunting in low light you can adjust magnification in a way that the reticle gets thicker and you can see it

-:

- on high zoom scope the reticle can be too thin on low magnification and to thick on high magnification

- illumination on FFP reticle is rarely day usable on low magnifications

SFP has the following attributes:

+:

- reticle can be really thin on high magnifications

- illumination of the reticle is better seen on low magnifications

- production costs are lower so you can sometimes get a better glass for the same price

-:

- point of impact moves with magnification change (on SFP Swarovski, Zeiss, Kahles, Leica scopes it moves less than 2cm/100m but on others it moves more)

- construction of SFP scopes is less robust

- BDC points in SFP reticles are useless in most cases

- on low magnification reticle can cover to much of the target

First is by far better if you are shooting any distance

Hm... my friend has a S & B 4 x 10 in the FFP - if he puts the scope on 7 power, at 100 yds he cannot see a bull with a diametre of 1.5" and admits that a crow at 300 yds becomes invisible.

The talk about scopes in the FFP are more rubust surely depends on the quality of the scope no matter what plane they are in?

My 2 NXS scopes and Swarovski 6 x 24 are in the SFP - they are robust - personally I prefer the target to get bigger than the recticle to cover it whether I am stalking, foxing or sticking targets out around 500 yds.

I think it best for the OP to decide what he wants from a scope, then have a look through both focal planes on two scopes of a similar cost and make his own mind up.

I cheated and copied the following from another (American) forum - hence probably why it become a personal choice.

FFP (First Focal Plane) scope

In a FFP scope the reticle shrinks and grows in direct proportion to the target as you change magnification settings (the reticle subtensions are thus always accurate). This allows you to estimate the range to target at any power, unlike SFP (Second Focal Plane) scopes, which have to be dialed to a specific magnification setting in order to range accurately. (The reticle subtensions in SFP scopes are only accurate at one magnification).

Because FFP scope reticles "grow" as power is increased and "shrink" as power is decreased reticles must be chosen with care. At high magnification certain reticles may appear "thick", obscuring the target, while very fine reticles may seem to dissappear at lower magnification.

SFP (Second Focal Plane) scope

In a SFP scope the reticle size remains constant as you change magnification settings. Thus no worries about the reticle appearing too thick at high magnification or too fine at low magnification. However, the trade-off is that in order to "range" accurately the scope magnification must be dialed to a specific setting (whatever magnification the reticle subtensions are calibrated at). Again, the reticle subtensions in SFP scopes are only accurate at one magnification.

I see what your saying, but from a ranging point of view i would have thought that the FFP, was far better, but as you say i suppose its personal choice. your mate needs to get a scope with a finer ret or the post and rail ret.

• 2 weeks later...