What Would You Recomend? .17 Hmr

Hello Hunting Life amigos, so I've got a few acres to shoot & have had a bit of success with my Benelli 12 bore semi, I have recently aquired my firearms & am wanting to buy my first .17 hmr rifle, I am considering among others the Browning 'T Bolt', I will be in the rough on a dairy farm having a walk round, probably rabbit as my quarry, I have a Hawke ir30 scope lined up just want the right rifle, has anyone a recomendation, is the 'T Bolt' a good piece of kit?

I also have the option of a .223 but may be a bit ott' for what I want?

Thanks for any replies. Pat Sheffield :victory:

I have only tried the tbolt at a demo fair but I personally didn't like it as felt the mechanism was over complicated and looked a nightmare to clean. The plastic stocks also feel very cheap compared to other synthetic stocks.

The CZ452 is what I own in both 22lr and 17hmr - both now about 5 years old and still going strong despite plenty of use. Very accurate, sturdy, easy to strip and clean (hmr is a dirty round). Check out the "style" and "silhouette" models.

For the hmr choose a moderator you can strip like the DM80 or SAK as they quickly fill up with gunk/unburnt powder (especially with shorter barrels).

• Like 1

I have also recently acquired my first HMR.

I was also looking at the Tbolt as you get a 10 shot magazine (2 i believe) and the additional magazine that stored in the back of the stock seemed appealing. But after speaking to several firearms dealers I found that the general opinion was that they were overpriced, cheaply made (various plastic components) and there were better rifles for similar money.

I had my eye on a Sako Quad but eventually settled for a CZ452 synthetic with nickel barrel and SAK mod due to it being pretty much half the price. A lot of people will recommend CZ's on this forum as I had done my research before buying one.

Now that I have one, I would say they are a decent simple rifle however there are a few little modifications that can be made to make it a great rifle.

I bought a trigger kit from Rimfire magic for £12 or £14 inc postage i think, and it has easy to follow instructions on how to fit. Maximum 10 min to 30 min job. Loads of youtube videos on how to fit also. This allows you to take the creep out of the trigger and lighten the trigger pull which I have found helps my groupings a great deal even though I am relatively new to rimfire rifles.

In my opinion, any HMR from CZ, Sako, Weihrauch and even Browning I suppose will shoot better than any of us could do so it really boils down to personal preference, build quality and resale potential.

However, saying all the above, It does not stop me wanting a Sako Quad or Weihrauch HW66 for my 22LR slot so as good as CZ's are, sometime you really do want to see if the grass is greener on the other side :laugh:

Good Luck and I am sure what ever you buy, you won't be disappointed.

Just to show the potential of these rifles, there is a member on this forum who has put down rabbits out to 246 yards with a CZ452. Obviously you wouldn't attempt such a shot until you were competent but it is nice knowing you can buy a rifle that you can grow with rather than having to buy a better rifle down the line as you improve. Due to most FAC holders having to sell one before acquiring another one, the second hand market is good for buyers but terrible for people trading in, so make sure you buy good first so don't have to sell in the future.

As for maintenance and cleaning, I have a thread on this forum but the advice is split on amount of shots before cleaning, the use of Bronze brushes and bore snakes etc so good luck lol

ATB Deano

• Like 1

I just wanted a tool for a job, second hand CZ was available at the right price. Accuracy was terrible . Cleaned the barrel and have never looked back since. Love it.

However , taste is individual. You have to like what you buy or it'll never be any good.

• Like 1

I have a cz in both .17hmr and .22rf and can't see why anyone would spend more money! I bought the .22rf about 10 years ago and the .17hmr 3 years ago and the .22rf doesn't get out as much as it used too but it still had its place.

• Like 1

I'll recomend the cz and sako quad varmint, two rifles at different cost in the market. Both shoot well. What I would say is don't skimp on the mounts with ten bob specials. The last thing you need with an hmr is mounts that are squiffy to the bore.

Edited by stillair1
  • Like 1

Recently purchased my first .17HMR, so can only comment on this one alone....

managed to find a 2nd hand mint condition CZ 455 Varmint, plus scope & moderator......and I LOVE it!

Can't fault it, but then I have little experience to compare accurately....but...

couple of pals who shoot 17 & 22 (and have done for MANY yaers) now want to get one as well.

Hope that helps

J

• Like 1

CZ 452, rock solid and accurate. Doesn't cost the earth and after fitting the trigger kit (cheap and VERY easy to put in) shoots like a dream. Don't forget the old maxim, spend all of your money on the scope and the change in your pocket on the rifle.

• Like 2

It is all done to personal prefference. I have got a browning T bolt in 17 hmr with a wildcat whisper mod. Yes it does feel un natural in synthetic but having the second mag stored in butt is handy. The T bolt mechanism is nice and quick and easy to reload. Would i have another one? Er yes. CZ are the in gun it seems. Personal experience with them are i don't like them as i have a CZ 527 which spends more time in the cabinet. It is all done to what you want in your gun and your choice because every man is different in his needs.

• Like 1

This comes round and round, you will never "NEED" anything more than a CZ can provide for field work.

Some simply want more, fine, but don't start thinking you are getting a more accurate rifle or one that will last twice as long if you pay two or three times the price of a CZ, you wont.

• Like 1

It is all done to personal prefference. I have got a browning T bolt in 17 hmr with a wildcat whisper mod. Yes it does feel un natural in synthetic but having the second mag stored in butt is handy. The T bolt mechanism is nice and quick and easy to reload. Would i have another one? Er yes. CZ are the in gun it seems. Personal experience with them are i don't like them as i have a CZ 527 which spends more time in the cabinet. It is all done to what you want in your gun and your choice because every man is different in his needs.

The 527 is a Centerfire, it isn't a rimfire 452/453 or 455!