First Time Out In A While

Finally managed to get out with the .22lr not held my ticket for too long and still got plenty of rounds left from the first and only brick of 500 I bought most of then have been spent on targets in the field as nothing has been about for a long while.

Got to my permission and as usual of late more wildlife in my back garden. Sat in wooded area for around 45 minutes and out of no where a deer appears deciding to wander around about 50 yards ahead. Spent about ten minutes just watching it before it disappears. One of those situations where I'm sure if I had a large calibre rifle would never have happened lol.

Another half hour and a fox about 100 yards away is also steadily walking about.

What a joke no sign of any rabbits yet again and the rest of the afternoon I resort to setting some paper up on a mound so I can actually get few another lot of rounds without going home not firing a shot.

Think next time ill go out with a water pistol as I'm sure ill see plenty of rabbits then lol.

I'm thinking I need to start looking for new permissions lol. I know it's not best time of year but is it really this quiet for bunnies for the rest of you lads?

just depends where your are i have two permissions right next to each other one is a a farm with about 200 acres and you can walk around there all day and not see a thing

then go to my other permission witch is less than 30 acres and its teaming with the buggers.

but always how it is if ya just out for a stroll youll see anything and everything when you got a rifle in ya hand ther nowhere to be seen.

The nights are still too long for them to have to come out in daylight in any heavily shot areas, mines the same, see them with the lamp from the car but never seem to appear out in daylight untill mid March.

My favourite kind of shooting that, pick a spot and get dug in then wait. To have a fox literally walk up to you, and rabbits hopping past your feet, never seen by most.

I wouldn't shoot stuff in situations like that with 1 exception, I was tucked up as said with my back to a dry stone wall and the gun across my lap. A stoat appeared no more than 10ft from the end of the 12 bore :yes: , nothing left but a red mist

• 2 weeks later...

It's that time of year, when nothing is about. Much of my land is flooded out, including my most productive warren and just hope the rabbits have moved to higher ground. This time last year it was mild and I was already seeing plenty of young ones. The landowner likes to see me about, as it keeps the p*****s off his land and for me it helps spot any recent burrows. Usually manage a couple of pigeons for my trouble. Better to be on the land than watching TV, or on here!

It's that time of year, when nothing is about. Much of my land is flooded out, including my most productive warren and just hope the rabbits have moved to higher ground. This time last year it was mild and I was already seeing plenty of young ones. The landowner likes to see me about, as it keeps the p*****s off his land and for me it helps spot any recent burrows. Usually manage a couple of pigeons for my trouble. Better to be on the land than watching TV, or on here!

Couldn't agree more :thumbs: