Whats The Best Haggis Round

I am fortunate to have a small murder of haggis on one of the estates i look after ,its a fairly rugged piece of land for sussex with some heather clad hills (not up to scottish standard ) with plenty of water ,especially this year year with a plentifull supply of stovies which my wife tells me is why they appear to be thriving( she is from that manor) away from there traditional highland home.

Which is why this year instead of importing one from our usual butcher Dingwalls of Cupar i decided to harvest one of our own sussex bred haggis.My plan to do an early morning recce ,locate a suitable beast and cull with my 6.5 ,gralloch , and then place

in chiller ready to cook for some strange scottish feast seemed nae bother .!!!! Wrong ...them are slippery little fellows..

Locating them proved difficult in the snow,they ,by all accounts bury themselves when hard weather strikes and only emerge for a few minutes each day ,night shooting as you all know is forbidden.So i set of again in the vain hope of finding one in this prolonged cold spell ,vain hope was right ..nothing...not track ..no scent even my highly trained haggis dog could not put us on a trail....25th of jan came and went (scottish haggis eating day) nothing.....day after day blanked !! then this morning, a thaw, and on my wifes advice i was back on the trail, its at this point i must confess to a little skullduggery ,i know its not sporting ,but needs must , i took a small amount of light tea coloured liquid called whisky ,12 year old malt,i was glad it was the old stuff , did'nt want to waste the new bottle,(even happier they dont like fosters) and laid a trail anti clock wise around the hill and sat and waited,forty min in pis...... heavy rain,rifle ready ,finger on saftey catch ready to bag my prize

Then it ,without warning appeared,i could clearly see the two short legs & two slightly longer legs that allow it to remain perfectly upright on the side of the hill ,its dark evil eyes and the full set of slightly off white teeth,having set myself in a safe shooting position,(back stop is vital when haggising) it was now or never .....Thwack ...the 6.5 hit home .the haggis fell tumbling down hill..a perfect shot....i left it for a few minutes before following it down ,holding the dog to heel ,getting bit by a wounded haggis is bad news...i located the wee beastie ...it was indeed dead, well bruised which apparently is the key to good eating ,,,gralloched.back to the chiller for the customery 9 3/4 hours at +1deg its just been eaten and enjoyed by eight very hungry punters.....my question was the 6.5 to much gun , could i have gotten away with a .22 centre fire ?

Edited by sussex
  • Like 4

A 1.7 would be a good round does not do too much damage to the wee beastie's.although I managed to shoot 2 with one shot last year when the haggis calf (a "wee yin") ran along side its mother just as I squeezed the trigger to haggis with 1 shot not a bad day!