My Fhh Shivering And Not Interested In Game.

craigynewall

Sounds like like she is well under to me mate,your bird so dont think Im being a clever bugger,but up her,I would expect a bird who started the season @ 2lb to be flying at 2lb2 now, me I would not piss about with the creance, (but again its your bird pal)just up her on some good energy food,squirrel,or pheasant,quail,if she is dropping on summat she knows she dont have to chase,then all the signs are there of an underweight bird, lots of people are afraid of upping the weight,but honestly, at this time of year with the cold, my advice is always fly the hawk as high as you can get away with, I am sure mr Grovesy would agree?

spot on get it a bit higher she sounds loiw

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like like she is well under to me mate,your bird so dont think Im being a clever bugger,but up her,I would expect a bird who started the season @ 2lb to be flying at 2lb2 now, me I would not pi

just a suggestion try her a bit heavier ON CREANCE and see how she reacts. as with all creatures birds use a lot of energy keeping warm. i try to fly all of mine justa tad heavier in the cold weather.

Spot on mate,she could be well under weight, with this cold spell,up her weight and try her,I think you will be quite suprised

Posted Images

Cheers I will up her weight to 2lb1 then up again a little after that see how she does. Thanks for the help evry comment wether its good or bad all helps mate then I know where I'm going wrong. She was first flying at 1lb15.5 in training I lifted her to 2lb and she's been flying at that for about nerly 8 weeks so hopefully this is all she needs. I'll let yous know how she gets on.

Sounds like like she is well under to me mate,your bird so dont think Im being a clever bugger,but up her,I would expect a bird who started the season @ 2lb to be flying at 2lb2 now, me I would not piss about with the creance, (but again its your bird pal)just up her on some good energy food,squirrel,or pheasant,quail,if she is dropping on summat she knows she dont have to chase,then all the signs are there of an underweight bird, lots of people are afraid of upping the weight,but honestly, at this time of year with the cold, my advice is always fly the hawk as high as you can get away with, I am sure mr Grovesy would agree?

is sure would agree with you mate and 100% about the quaity food.

craig you say you bring the bird in before flying the bird should be content in her muse and as i said no drafts where she is roosting at night .this way the bird is not burning of energy to keep its self warm ,

Took abit of advise from you guys and tried her this morning at 2lb1.5 and what happend??? She went in a high tree and wouldn't budge for half hour. Managed to get her down after whistling like mad thrwoiing chick in the air for solid half hour then got her back and put her away for the night as its been snowing and hailing most the afternoon. So weight might not be the issue mate.

I'll try that next time mate it was in a pretty awkquid place for her to see it she had to really bob her head over branch to see me cos she flew up in a high tree on like a steep bank. She's stopped shivvering thankfully though. Try again tomorrow at 2lb0.5 see hw get on.

Hmmmm very interesting,how does her keel feel at her present weight?I know you have tried her a little higher,but she could be still too low,I would not have expected a weight gain of 1.5oz to have made the difference between responding or not,especially at this time of year,perhaps the small gain has done enough to stop the shivering,but not enough to make her keen,it is always hard giving advice on a bird you cant see/feel,but a weght gain is never going to do any harm, as apposed to a weight drop,obviously try her at the new weight,but if it does nothing,I would still be very tempted to up her even higher,and try again,let us know how it goes,the answer is out there mate,good luck :thumbs:

Keel feels full at 2lb2oz and anything higher but at 2lb starts to feel sharp. Had her looked over erlier while she weighed 2lb2.5 and he says she seems fine by looks of her and keel feels ok so I just really don't know what's wrong with her. Alls I can do is play with the weight and see her responses any other ideas?? Was thinking of giving her an early end to the season and starting training her again just before start of next season to get her ready.. Is this a bad idea?? This is last resosrt option if I'm honest as I'm gonna tweak around with her weight first to see what responses I get.

what are her mutes like ?? might be worth taking a sample to vet to get them analysed ? it s not expensive and if there is a problem you'll know what to treat her for . my harrris flying weight is normally 2lb 1 but with this cold weather I have taken her up to 2lb 2.7oz with no problems . all the best hope you get sorted

try pushing her up to about 2.4 ish and then start to bring her down again untill you get a good response. its definatly a strange one

atb adam.

Thats exactly what I would do mate,spot on,it is a very strange one this,I wish I lived closer to the lad I would love to go and have a look myself, but just to set your mind at ease it is worth getting her mutes checked out,you would have thought even if the bird has been kept at flying weight, a bit too long,the extra energy boost would have kicked her off again,let us know how things progress mate :hmm:

I've bin struggling mickmck she flew a cock pheasant to days ago missed it then went up a tree for 50mins wings out like she Woz wet.im goin out with her tomorrow .with the ferret to bolt sum for her if she don't try for them I'm not flying her till the snows gone.incase she gets into a bad habit .