keen springer dog

I have a springer spaniel dog pup 9 months old doing really well picking up and flushing. The problem i have is hes tearing into thick bramble like its not even there which is good but he keeps ripping and cutting around his eyes and hes lost most of his hair around the eyes, it always looks sore but doesnt seem to be bothering the dog. Does anyone no what i could put on the cuts and sores as its around his eyes and its a sensitive area and anything to help prevent this in the future

I dont think so mate, my lot get it more during the summer hunting up rape.

I hope i can offer a bit of advice and you wont take offence but i would take your time doing too much with a pup at 9 months spaniels can learn a lot of bad habits early and need to mature a bit and have the basics of obedience well and truly ingrained in their habits other wise they go deaf and end up doing what they want rather than what you want.

I have a 2 year old springer who's last owner must of worked him overtime in thick cover around his eyes were missing fur a pink and his eyes we weeping green/yellow stuff. I used eye wash to clean them and eye drops on a daily basis to heal them up, giving the dog a bit of time of from going into thick bramble cover will obviously help aswel

Guest long-tail

my lurcher gets the same way hunting up in the rape,all i ever do is rinse with salt water and try lay off the area for a few days at a time,probably not easy for you though with a full on spaniel

004_zps07879f6d.jpg

Edited by long-tail

Cheers lads thanks for the advice and yer i understand what you are saying stroller and i proberly am doing too much too soon for him but as hes so forward and just wants to work i tend to forget how old he is when we are out in the feild

Cheers lads thanks for the advice and yer i understand what you are saying stroller and i proberly am doing too much too soon for him but as hes so forward and just wants to work i tend to forget how old he is when we are out in the feild

If you allow him to hunt at an early age thats all he will want to do, and you may have issues getting hime to pick up and retrieve. They get hunt fever and it`s all they want to do ! lol

My cocker was a bushing maniac and ended up one of the best beating dogs I have ever seen. I constantly used golden eye, and vasaline for his bramble injurys.He would smash through bramble that you could walk on as if it wasn`t there.

As has been said, take your time, hold the dog back from thick cover and get him doing all you want before letting him loose on the thick stuff.