I was just wondering what style of pegs you lot use, and how long and what made of? ect ect

Cheers Netter

6mm steel rod ,11-12 inch long ,bend a loop in one end and onto the chain ring, when you knock the pin in , angle it slightly into the hole so if the rabbit kicks away from the hole ,when its caught, the pin will definatly hold and you ain,t walking about below the hole looking for your trap

I was just wondering what style of pegs you lot use, and how long and what made of? ect ect

Cheers Netter

6mm steel rod ,11-12 inch long ,bend a loop in one end and onto the chain ring, when you knock the pin in , angle it slightly into the hole so if the rabbit kicks away from the hole ,when its caught, the pin will definatly hold and you ain,t walking about below the hole looking for your trap

:signthankspin:

You can use rebar rod and weld a washer about 1/2" lower from the top. Don't use smooth rod since it has no grabbing capability. If you going to making some for soft ground for fox and such about a 1/4 of the way up from the bottom give it a little bend. When you drive it in it will force the bend to go staight and give you super holding power. Here in the US if your trapping for fox then you better double stake in case a coyote swings buy.

Another nice item to have in truck is a Demolition bar to pul stakes that get hung. I give a stake a minute to pull and If it won't go the chain gets cut.

Why does a spring trap need a bigger anchor than a snare would ?

because these are smooth rod and don,t have the holding power of a wooden peg ,i have tried smaller pins and they can sometimes pull ,its just the way i do it ,the lad asked , i tried to help

because these are smooth rod and don,t have the holding power of a wooden peg ,i have tried smaller pins and they can sometimes pull ,its just the way i do it ,the lad asked , i tried to help

Sorry Moley, it was a genuine question mate, not having a pop at you. I was just was worried I was missing something and had been lucky that my pegs had held. :good:

Sorry Moley, it was a genuine question mate, not having a pop at you. I was just was worried I was missing something and had been lucky that my pegs had held. :good:

no worries , i use rod cos its easier having the peg attatched straight to the chain ring and theres usually a fair bit of stone and roots to worry about , its easier straitening rod than replacing a wooden peg that bin smashed to bits trying to knock it thru a stone, i carry my traps 20 at a time on a type of big saftey pin and it just makes the job easier for me

at times i have had rabbits jumping about in thier death throws and have pulled the pin out completely , on some of the ground i work its very steep and i havn,t time to go searching thru rushes to find missing traps , i want the trap and rabbit still in the hole ,or at least just outside ,when i check them in the morning

Guest Scuba1

I use steel rod as well, as most of the ground here is very rocky and we have quite a few wild dogs running around and they would take rabbit plus trap never to be found again.

ATB

Michael

Guest Scuba1
You guys don't use rebar for stakes???

I do as it is the only thing that I can get into this ground here. I weld a chain link to one side about an inch down from the top where i can atatch the chain of the trap to.

ATB

Michael

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:unsure: Maybe I'm some kind of freak then? But, personally. I always just set out on foot. I take as many traps as I can comfortably manage, held by their manufacturers chains. In my pocket I carry a pair of side cutters and a judged hank of light guage, galvanised wire. Never had a problem.

Ok, granted; I don't - never have - trap bunnie's on wide open, wind swept and barren, exposed grass downs where there's nothing to twist a bit of wire round. I'd ferret there. But most ground vermin, I find, tend to run cover. That tends to mean brambles, fence posts and such. And that, to me, means anchorage sufficient to hold most dead things in my traps.

Regards the only creatures ever liable to try to run off with my dead catch? Fox, badger, the odd Dog? Again, I generally find the corpse breaks before the wire does. They may rip some meat out of the trap but generally don't deliberately fuss too much over a mouthfull of my steel.

Carry an armfull of steel stakes? Check up from the neck up, surely?

You guys don't use rebar for stakes???

yes mate we use rebar but only for fox on a similar set up to yours with the nut welded on top i use to use rebar as a killing pole as well but since its illegal now dont bother as for holding mk6s same set up as moley works fine for me