getting gun license in Ireland

I'm looking to get my gun license, iv tried to ask a few people what way to do it but I'm getting mixed reviews. I live in Dublin and have no more then 8x10 of land in me back garden lol. Can anyone tell me anything on what way is best to go about filling in the forms, land permission etc. I'm 23 and have no serious charges. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You need a reason to own/use a gun, it’s not a right. So why do you need a gun is the first question. If it’s target go to a Dublin target gun club, they’ll put you right. If it’s rough shoot or wildfowling then go see a local gun club, they’ll put you right. With an 8 x 10 I’m thinking you don’t have a vermin problem but if you want to shoot vermin then you’ll need farmer/land permissions which entails foot slogging till you find someone that will allow you to shoot. Up around here ‘new shooters’ aren’t readily accepted without some proven background. Look on irishshooter.ie or boards.ie you’ll find more ‘local’ help there regarding clubs. Paperwork is covered by the links ‘Stinker’ posted you

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ye iv had a look at garda.ie loads of legal talk that doesn't make much sense when you haven't done it before. I wad thinking a club would be the best way to go, I'm looking to get a .22 to start. Like if I get a license on a club basis can I still go shooting on land if I get permission? Thanks for the help lads

best to get out and knocking on farmers doors to ask for permission, you will get some knock backs but if one is all you need to say yes,

As long as its safe to shoot on and has plenty good backstops your flying, tell him your after vermin, crows, magpies, rabbits,

but only shooting when they are grounded of course.

Snap.

Thanks snap, iv given up on land permission iv joined a clay pigeon club near by. I'm going with a shot gun to start does anyone know any websites or books I could read on what amo for what, general use, maintenance etc. I usually go out working cover with terriers and running dogs, so would a shot gun just disintegrate rabbits and birds or what shells would I need for them. I would use the meat for the dogs if it's salvageable, thanks for any advice. If I need to I'll start a new link for help on this, go maith.

• 2 weeks later...

Just put a few quid of a 28" Baikal 12g u/o,

iv got a firearms training cert and I'm a member of a clay pigeon club.

I'm delighted, the gun was a good price all I need

now is the license so I can start shooting. I was

told if I get denied a license, because I joined a clay

club I can still get the gun and leave it there, let's hope

I don't have to do that ha.