Ducks on the Rice.

It's an oddity, but the semi-arid zone of southern NSW has a significant rice industry. Irrigated, of course. Ducks are a serious pest, grazing the young rice and creating open patches that allow weeds to flourish. Hence we have an anachronistic situation in which very common game species are protected, yet can be hunted without regard to bag limits or open seasons whenever they are being a pest.

Anyhoo,,,, I went for a run out that way last Thursday evening, with a couple of mates. The big flocks that we've seen there previously weren't at home, but in the late evening there was an almost constant stream of pairs and small mobs lobbing in on the patches that we'd selected.

I'm pretty ordinary with a shotgun and the shooting is challenging, but I managed to put a couple of dozen birds on the water,,, even if it did take me nearly 5 boxes of crackers to do it.

The photo below gives some idea of the conditions and the damage that the birds do. The open water that you can see should be as green and as thick as your lawn, and a foot taller.

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDMuanBn.jpg

Birds are predominantly Grey Teal, with some Blackduck, Wood-duck and Hardhead mixed in.

For those interested.... http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/game-hunting/game/australian-water-fowl/waterfowl-legal-game

• 2 weeks later...

The first rule of Flight Club is....you don't talk about Flight Club :laugh:

I guess he means a bunch of people who get together and shoot them when they're coming in at dusk, maybe selling them on as food?

Lovely photo that :)