Built up area

It was explained to me by a County Council Highway's jobsworth that if I own land on the roadside i own the land that the road sit's on , to the middle of the road. if I own land both sides of the road then i own all the land that the road is on. The public has a right of way over the road and the council has to maintain it. If the road was taken from there then the land goes back to the land owner either side. That was his explanation to me.

Thanks for the explanation, that has cleared it up for me. I have always wondered about that.

Geoff

So that mean's I could fire a gun while standing in the middle of the road , as long as nobody is injured , interrupted or endangered ?

thats what it says :thumbs:

Problem is that if some city slicker hears a gunshot from 1/2 a mile away and turns round because he is either afraid or whatever, then you have completed the offence. Best stick to the 50ft "rule" in my view.

My shooting runs along a motorway, feo inspecting the lad said, "technically you could stand on the embankment and shoot", well no you couldn't but he was mocking the 50ft thing.

Juess, I've even had coppers pull up on the motorway because I've been walking down the footpath that runs parallel with a gun.

I really don't think we need to get too wrapped up in this, we could go on with the what ifs for a long time.

The reality is few people other than shooters know about this, very few people will ever report it, and if the bloke was half a mile away, then you were at least 51 ft away from the road when he heard the bang, weren't you! :yes: :yes: :thumbs:

And walking down a footpath with a gun is likely to cause interest, covered or otherwise! :yes::thumbs:

Interest I can put up with, kind of inevitable when you have land in lumps that are seperated by a footpath access, but the ignorance of said traffic police astounded me to be honest. And I mean both in knowledge and attitude.

That doesn't particularly surprise me, but you have to accept that no copper is going to know every Law backwards, they will often need educating.

Some 2 or 3 years ago I was out with another member of this forum and we were approached by two of our boys in blue, their attitude was fine as it happens, but upon discussion and showing them both of our FAC's, and advising them they could check now through the National Firearms Database (which they had never heard of) they chirped out that this was the first time they had ever seen a FAC! :hmm::laugh::thumbs:

So that mean's I could fire a gun while standing in the middle of the road , as long as nobody is injured , interrupted or endangered ?

thats what it says :thumbs:

Problem is that if some city slicker hears a gunshot from 1/2 a mile away and turns round because he is either afraid or whatever, then you have completed the offence. Best stick to the 50ft "rule" in my view.

My shooting runs along a motorway, feo inspecting the lad said, "technically you could stand on the embankment and shoot", well no you couldn't but he was mocking the 50ft thing.

Juess, I've even had coppers pull up on the motorway because I've been walking down the footpath that runs parallel with a gun.

I really don't think we need to get too wrapped up in this, we could go on with the what ifs for a long time.

The reality is few people other than shooters know about this, very few people will ever report it, and if the bloke was half a mile away, then you were at least 51 ft away from the road when he heard the bang, weren't you! :yes: :yes: :thumbs:

And walking down a footpath with a gun is likely to cause interest, covered or otherwise! :yes::thumbs:

Interest I can put up with, kind of inevitable when you have land in lumps that are seperated by a footpath access, but the ignorance of said traffic police astounded me to be honest. And I mean both in knowledge and attitude.

That doesn't particularly surprise me, but you have to accept that no copper is going to know every Law backwards, they will often need educating.

Some 2 or 3 years ago I was out with another member of this forum and we were approached by two of our boys in blue, their attitude was fine as it happens, but upon discussion and showing them both of our FAC's, and advising them they could check now through the National Firearms Database (which they had never heard of) they chirped out that this was the first time they had ever seen a FAC! :hmm::laugh::thumbs:

gods honest truth our local copper came round and asked me if it was ok for someone to be shooting up the cricket pitch as he had received a complaint :laugh: