Safety catch causing misfires

Hi lads,

Not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies in advance if its not.I have a Baikal O/U and was out for a shot on Saturday morning. A big cock flew up in front of me.I missed him with the 1st barrel and when I pulled the 2nd trigger nothing happened. I blamed a damp cartridge. On Monday morning I went down to feed a pond and the wife came with me.She was mad to fire a shot so I let her. She fired the 1st shot and pulled the 2nd trigger and again nothing happened. I looked across and coped that the safety had gone back on.

Any idea what could be causing this and how would I sort it?

Edited by Jimy1971

My Winchester SX3 used to set the safety after the first shot. I'm left handed and the jolt would cause my finger to hit the safety. It would happen so fast that i didn;t even know it had done it untill the second shot. If you're a lefty this might be the reason. I have now changed the safety around and don't have te problem any longer.

Could be a number of things.

When was the last time the inside of the action was cleaned? It may be that the safety mechanism is loose and is being re-set by the inertia or recoil of the first shot.

If you're not happy taking the stock off yourself, maybe ask someone you know or a gunsmith to have a quick look at it.

Hi lads,

Not sure if this is the right place for this so apologies in advance if its not.I have a Baikal O/U and was out for a shot on Saturday morning. A big cock flew up in front of me.I missed him with the 1st barrel and when I pulled the 2nd trigger nothing happened. I blamed a damp cartridge. On Monday morning I went down to feed a pond and the wife came with me.She was mad to fire a shot so I let her. She fired the 1st shot and pulled the 2nd trigger and again nothing happened. I looked across and coped that the safety had gone back on.

Any idea what could be causing this and how would I sort it?

There's a chap in Carrick on suir that would give it a good service for you but you'd have to travel to him. If you want his number I could get it for you. PM if you want it.