FHH weight

Ginger shooter

Mr Gun sir!

The good thing about this forum is that questions can be asked without a worry of putdown normaly.

That was an answer that I would expect to find on IFF!

The gentleman asked a question that I bet a lot of us would have asked in the same situation.

Ive been told that chics are just useless as far as nutrition is concerned, so why do we all feed them to our birds.

Would a good size quail be as good if not better than 4 chicks?

I get all my advice from you lads by reading other peoples question posts.

Dont let THL turn into IFF's little sister.

you cannot learn to keep birds over the net mate, advice given over net is next to useless without seeing and putting hands on to assess condition or problem, in short its dangerous

, feeding chicks which have little nutritional value is an easy way to keep the bird at flying/hunting weight in season, I always allow a full crop of rich meat at least once a week, afetr a hard flight I rewards heavily in the field, don't mind loosing odd days to this either, ask a lot of the bird so like him fit and full of vits etc, also using supplements can help when feeding DOC's, I do use doc's as they handy easy to store, cheap, effective etc, I also give em to ferrets lol but I also use shin beeef to ffed daily and when out flying on lure or for recall lure when hunting

Lads cannot go far wrong sticking to one decent book and following that, once you start looking on the net for answers you get 100 different opinions none of which are based on actual fact and imho thats suicidal, if Im really unsure I get my mentor over to look or another exprienced falconer, hope this makes sense mate

Edited by arcticgun
  • Like 1

its mad lads keeping birds and not knowing how to feed them properly blink.png , how hard is it too pick up a book or speak to whoever taught you to fly it :hmm:rat quail etc the way to go. chicks are of little nutritional value, just to keep bird at set weight, rabbit mostly the same, red meat like shinbeef, even beef steak fine, they deffo need a boost this time of year, they shiver in the low temps and that sends the weight off em,

are you saying im wrong in what i said?

not at all mate, what I was saying was people should know how to feed and weigh there birds prior to owning them

i no what you mean mate.

I understand what u saying aswell mate just really wanted to know what people use to boost weight! As in shin beef quail etc

quail, mice etc they way forward, its getting colder for sure and worse to come, heaters on and plenty good quality grub and they be fine, the countries they come from are warm in the day but the temps dip right doen after dark, they hardy birds are harris, getting them up a height helps as well as making sure mews windproof dry etc

Always thought chicks weren't very nutritional but then went on Neil Forbes bird of prey day and guess what they are better than I thought. No they wount put weight on like rat/quail/pidgeon/phessie but if you feed enough of them they will put weight on your bird. Now its dropping cold overnight there will be lots of birds that start to go lower than expected - lets hope not too low. My male gos is really packing the food away now just to hold his weight when only a few weeks ago the same amount would have had him far to high the next day. Another thing is to box your bird and bring the box inside on a night. This way the bird is not using calories to keep warm.

Ginger Shooter if you are holding her at a weight where you are happy with her performance then don't worry. A weekly cropful is deffinately a good idea regardless of the temperature. Birds find it difficult to put on muscle if they are continually held at a tight weight. They can become fit but to muscle up they need extra rations now and again. I always let them have the last kill of the day and then if its a rabbit and I want them to go up in weight trade off for a quail/rat. If you don't want such a large weight gain then a full crop of the rabbit will be good.

regards Ian

you cannot learn to keep birds over the net mate, advice given over net is next to useless without seeing and putting hands on to assess condition or problem, in short its dangerous

, feeding chicks which have little nutritional value is an easy way to keep the bird at flying/hunting weight in season, I always allow a full crop of rich meat at least once a week, afetr a hard flight I rewards heavily in the field, don't mind loosing odd days to this either, ask a lot of the bird so like him fit and full of vits etc, also using supplements can help when feeding DOC's, I do use doc's as they handy easy to store, cheap, effective etc, I also give em to ferrets lol but I also use shin beeef to ffed daily and when out flying on lure or for recall lure when hunting

Lads cannot go far wrong sticking to one decent book and following that, once you start looking on the net for answers you get 100 different opinions none of which are based on actual fact and imho thats suicidal, if Im really unsure I get my mentor over to look or another exprienced falconer, hope this makes sense mate

that makes sense! cheers.