Return to Ferreting

Hi guy's, this is my first post on this site. I've just returned to ferreting after an absence of about 20 years. I last went ferreting with my dad, but he gave up when i was 10. I'm now 30, and have just bought myself a kit. Memorys of my time spent ferreting with my dad involved sneaking on to peoples land without permision and having to keep an eye out for landowners as well as rabbits! Of course, now i'm grown up i realise that I have to get permision to hunt rabbits, but this is where my problem lies, I don't know any landowners. Could one of you guys please give me some advice?

Welcome aboard Maltenby.

Everytime I see a sign for a public footpath I take my dog for a walk on it and check out the land nearby.

Any sign of rabbits and I find the nearest farm.Do a quick drive by...anyone working the fields or farmyard and I ask them who the farmer is. Then ask if i can run my ferret through the hedges to keep the rabbits down.

Treat it a bit like a job interview and remember first impressions count!

How would you feel if someone called at your door asking for permission to roam around in your garden?

It begs the question "what's in it for me?"

Farmers are running a business,some will be keen to keep country pursuits going- some won't!

He may have big debts and be struggling to keep up with DEFRA red tape.

His missus may have just run off with the farm hand!

Be prepared to see it from the farmer's point of view...he's not running a charity but may well be persuaded if you offer him some prepared rabbit joints or free labour at harvesting time.

Has he got a problem with poachers or fly tipping,do your homework first.If he has got such problems, why not offer to keep your eyes open for trespassers or fly tippers.

I too did a bit of poaching with my dad as a kid but ferreting where you have permission is so much more enjoyable,no looking over your shoulder or constant worry about getting caught!

Good luck! :) Mooster.

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Mooster!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :notworthy::good:That one made my f*cking scalp tingle! :icon_eek:

That was far and away The BEST f*cking response I've ever in my life seen to such a question! F*ck Me, What a Response!!!

Well, I for one vote that one should be pinned as a Sticky. Seriously! This is one of the bread and butter questions of places like this and it'll be asked a few times every year. Others may try to add their tuppence to it, but, by god, that did it for me! Anything else would be superfluous and repetiative. That one caught the f*cking lot!

Where's Ian B? Ian? Can't ye Stick that one, mate? It'd be criminal to lose it! :yes:

Gold Star to Mooster! :good:

Thanks for the complement!! And from the daddy himself!...one thing though,

When is this bloke going to come around and pin me down to "stick" me?

What should i wear for the occasion?

Will I need a medical first?

..Regards.Mooster. :tongue2:

Guest little_lloyd

Knocking on doors is a good idea but you can get some weird anwsers :laugh::wallbash: You could join up to your local hunt i aspect theres a few old farmers there looking for some rabbit controll.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll certainly bear your ideas in mind. I've got a few months now to find some land before my ferret is old enough! I just hope my wife dosn't spoil him first!