1st woodcock of the season

Took the springers for a bit of rough shooting this morn.Went down the side of a birch-hazelwood plantation and had not traveled 50yds and the 1st woodcock of the season fell to my 2nd shot,missed completely with the 1st,anyway the old bitch Sally was on it in seconds and retrieved back to hand.Continued on down the side of the wood and the dogs flushed 3 hen pheasents out and then a nice cock bird which i missed again with 1st shot but nailed it with the 2nd.The morning was looking good with a woodcock and a cock pheasent in the bag and only had walked about 300yds.Carried on down and a fox was flushed out but too far in front and i had only light shell in so he was away and only had regathered miself when another woodcock came flying out and this time it fell to the 1st shot,no2 in the bag.Carried on and came to the end of the wood and decided to come back up the far side,wood is about 150yds wide so might be something out on the other side,also a small pond on the far side with a chance of a shot at duck.Well nothing about untill i came to the pond and after sending in the springers to beat the rushes 1 lone teal tried to leave it but i was well positioned and he was in the bag,nothing else about so headed back for the van,quite happy with the bag i had shot.I then went home and put the springers in and decided i would give the lab a run.This bitch beats like a springer,better than a lot of springers,has no respect for cover.Took her to another small plantation with woodcock in mind.Straight away she flusher 1 but it flew back in instead of out and 2 more done the same but towards the end of the wood it gets a lot lighter and i was able to get into it a bit where i could take a shot and just as we came near the end she flushed another and this 1 was also in the bag,it fell in very heavy cover,briars,rushes and all sorts of shit just on the end of the new plantation but nell done well and found and retrieved to hand,headed home then as i had a bit of work to do but a very enjoyable mornings shooting.

• Like 1