Cycling with dog

Im just wondering whats the furthest anyone has cycled with their dog in a day ? I bike most days days covering 3-4 miles with fly my lurcher but will go further soon ,i was wondering if they could trot 10 - 15 miles a day or more ,opinions please?

all the best

rew

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May as well get them the entire kit then aye.  

Out of interest rew why don't you get one of those trailers for kids,,, put the dog in it,, then you can save her energy for when you go lamping on the bike.    

Yeah defo night hunter..   I back mine late summer and early season.. When conditions are not suitable for raking about or running daytime rabbits.   If I have been busy with work, I can bike them

done 12 miles with mine, easy going pace They never batted a eye lid...

Done shorter distances 6/8 with a faster pace.. Dogs showed signs of fatigue, toungue out heavy breathing so was I :laugh:

Have cycled 16/18 but dogs had good rest in the middle and seemed knackered after that, never came out the run and not one noise out of them.

You could build them up to 15 no problem if it was a steady pace..

do you not find that with that much road work they become muscle bound due to the fact they are not streching out the muscles sprinting. i find that biking is a real good way to get them fit but IMO they need to sprint on grass to condition propperly + this time of year dog should aready be fit. if you going to bike them / work them when will they have time to rest and repair?

surley 6-6 mile @ god pace is enough.. is for mine. + find that once you start working them propper they will naturally fitten up.

Yeah defo night hunter..

I back mine late summer and early season.. When conditions are not suitable for raking about or running daytime rabbits.

If I have been busy with work, I can bike them further in a hour than I can walk them. Good for them if they are going to be stuck in kennel all day.. I have even biked mine at night with hi vis jacket and lights on the bike.. less cars about

• Like 1

Sounds like im being to lenient with my own dog lol thanks for your replies though , i will try a 8 miler tongiht.She is getting really fit though now , i wonder how this would improve their endurance especially for them long daytime runs.

I would not bike mine and expect it to lamp..

But If I never had a car would maybe have to consider it..

When we were boys we just walked some serious miles, if we were lucky somebodys mother would drop as off :laugh:

Them trialors are decent seen some young bucks shifting scrap on one round here :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

I agree with you night hunter aswell ,she does get to oppertunity to free run but im conditioning her again after a slight foot injury.But to get out further to see more game it would be easier for me to cycle somewhere with her than walk there

Thats not a bad idea tomo lol stick the game in their on my way back lmao.

Using a hi vis is a great idea and lights ,i did wonder if you can trot them on the roads ,especially when their aint a path ..i know if you where seen by the police using these saftey precautions they would be less likely to pull you .

I agree with you night hunter aswell ,she does get to oppertunity to free run but im conditioning her again after a slight foot injury.But to get out further to see more game it would be easier for me to cycle somewhere with her than walk there

Thats not a bad idea tomo lol stick the game in their on my way back lmao.

Using a hi vis is a great idea and lights ,i did wonder if you can trot them on the roads ,especially when their aint a path ..i know if you where seen by the police using these saftey precautions they would be less likely to pull you .

Mate there's loads of cycle paths round notingham,,, look it up online,,

lmao i saw them in ibiza ... funny thing was the lads doing all the cycling where skinny as me ,,after a summer i bet they are hench lmao i would like to cycle a big one with the dog averaging so many miles a day.Would be a good documentary ?

rew