Introducing a new bitch

Just about to pick up a 2yr old whippet cross from a friend of mine who is moving away.

At home ive got a patterdale dog who is good as gold with other dogs but can be a bit moody when it comes to food etc. Ive only got a small place and both dogs will be on their own sometimes indoors.

Im just after any tips about introducing them, im sure they will be fine but any advice would be much appreciated.

Introduce them on neutral territory: take them for a walk together before going into your house.

Make sure to let the terrier know that he's still your main dog: don't fuss the whippet and ignore him, but also don't expect them to act as equals: he was there first, so you need to let him know he's not been demoted. Don't even think of leaving them loose together indoors ... ever. Get a cage and put one or other of the dogs in it at night and when you're not there: wouldn't be the first time that a terrier has killed a small lurcher or sight hound.

• Like 1

Brought the new bitch home yesterday, her and my terrier get on very well. Both the same age so they started playing together straight away.

They are both curled up on the sofa as I write this! She is still having the odd accident in the house, I suppose that is because everything is new, routine, house, owner etc.

I took her for a walk on her own first thing this morning and she never left my side, then i took her out with the terrier and they were both fuckers!!

Going out tonight with a couple of other lads and their dogs so I might bring her along for a look. Ive seen her on the lamp before with her last owner and she was mustard.

A bit of work to do but im over the moon at how she has settled with the terrier, just got to stop her pissing on the carpet now!

Thanks