Toe Amputation

I had a dog about twenty years ago that had a middle toe taken off on its front foot I ran him ok for a bit after that but can't remember how long. Eventually the other middle toe started to dislocate, you could just push it back into place but it didn't cause him too much pain so I retired him then to my brothers as a pet Hope this doesn't happen with yours. All the best

I have a bitch here with a toe amputated on both front and back same side. I pretty much retired her because of it but she mooches well on excersize and still picks up a few bits and pieces. I dont think she'd hold up to a full nights lamping though so i dont test her.

Hi all,

Just recently my dog has sadly had to have a middle toe removed due to suffering with a corn & a ruptured tendon. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has experienced this with a dog before and what was the outcome? Do they run as good as before? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks.

One of my bitches has a front toe off, saw no noticeable difference

Gave her what seemed a long time, 6-8 weeks, then light work before grafting her,..I had already layed her off previously for nearly the same length of time, just for it to happen again..no messing second time, I can afford dogs off the road with sick notes, got her running without the toe, and she ran till she was thirteen, killed more rabbits without the toe than with the toe with NO more problems...its not going to be the answer for every situation, but it worked for me and my dog.