gundog help !!!!!?????

hello , im looking into getting a gundog , but i am in two minds weather to get a puppy or a fully trained dog , i am a novice shooter and just getting into the sport , i will be looking to go on pheasant shoots aswell as land for rabbits , i would like a dog to cover hedges and flush rabbits , pheasants to gun ect; and retrieve .. i have never owned a gundog before , the part i need help with is choosing either a pup or fully trained dog and also me , as i do not the commands to give , the correct tone of whistles ect; im not to sure if you have to take a course or lesson for this ? , hope you can help thanks

You won't want to get a fully trained dog unless you're minted, they can easily coat over £1000. I'd always go for a pup anyway so you can develop the bond between man and dog right from the off.

As for training classes there are many Gundog clubs all over the country that hold weekly training classes or 1-2-1 tuition, google is your friend.

Get a pup

I am training my first lab who is now 16 months and its great fun.

It is just the same as any terrier, lurcher , whippet, hound, hawk you get out what you put in. There is no short cut to success .

If you buy in a young un you are just buying someone's failure

thanks for the replys ,

the only worry i am haveing is that what if i buy a pup and it doesnt meet any of the standards of a gundog , all the time and effort i would have put into him .

ok i agree with buying a fully trained adult youve always got the doubt of why is up for sale , i wouldnt mind paying £1000 to £1500 for a fully trained because i could geuss how much work goes into them , and it would probably cost more bringing up from a pup ..

i like the idea of getting a pup and building as you say a bond , this is what i will probably do , but its the choosing right the pup ie; from good working lines , good parents , health checked eyes and hips as i have been reading up a bit , but someone could tell me all this and i wouldnt have a clue if they were just peddlers trying to palm me off , its finding someone who actually knows there stuff what they are looking at and if the pups have potential ..

also im in two minds of the cocker spaniel or springer , i dont really want a big type dog ..

sorry for the essay haha , thanks for your help

If you can wait until next year you can have a pup out of my stock and a copy of david lisett dvd.

You can tell if the dogs from good stock from the pedigree history. They can't lie about that. Also if your on the shooting seen check out the dog and bitch if possible before the mating. Will give you a good idea what the pups are going to be like.

If you can wait until next year you can have a pup out of my stock and a copy of david lisett dvd.

You can tell if the dogs from good stock from the pedigree history. They can't lie about that. Also if your on the shooting seen check out the dog and bitch if possible before the mating. Will give you a good idea what the pups are going to be like.

ok what month next year roughly ?? i might wait out until next year anyway do some research and find a gundog club for some lessons or do you advise doing it off my own back learning from a dvd ? dont want no bad habits thats all , thanks

She normally comes into season jan/feb time so pup will be ready around the end of may. There's nothing wrong with getting some advice from people at a gundog club but do it before you get the pup so your ready to go when it arrives. As training should start from day 1 in one form or another. Do as much research as you can and you shouldn't go far wrong especially seeing your not looking to trial the dog.

PS My springer is very small, probably the size of a cocker. PM me your email address and i could send you some pics.

• Like 1

springer is probably a touch easier to train than a cocker, a well bred pup thats trained correctly shouldnt let you down so long as you stick by your training, i agree the Lisett DVD is great.

as far buying a trained up dog, often these are dogs that triallers have kept on until 6-9-12 months and then decided they are just not going to make the grade..they lack style, are not fast enough, just lack something the trial bloke is looking for. these dogs will make great shooting dogs they are just not cut out for trialing, not every Sunday footballer is cut out for the EPL,

whichever route you choose hope you have fun with it, try not to stress out.....especially if you opt for a cocker!!!

PS My springer is very small, probably the size of a cocker. PM me your email address and i could send you some pics.

i have a ESS that is similarly small, bulkier than a cocker but the same hieght

Edited by barraboy

also im in two minds of the cocker spaniel or springer , i dont really want a big type dog ..

What not compromise and get a working cocker, I've got one 7 months ago and he is fantastic so much energy very keen but my god does he learn quick

• Like 1

What not compromise and get a working cocker, I've got one 7 months ago and he is fantastic so much energy very keen but my god does he learn quick

i think it will be the cocker i will be getting been looking at them all day ha , just waiting it out atm haveing a read up