New to this

Mullet15

Hi everyone. I am really interested in falconry and someday owning my own bird and flying it out hunting. Was wondering of anyone in Worcestershire area would mind taking me out and showing me the ropes. Bit cheeky i no, but you don't ask you don't get.

Thanks

im getting a harris hawk next year, hubby nearly bought me one last month but there is so much more to ownin one flyin it etc than meets the eye, do ur homework [bANNED TEXT] you buy its a massive responsibility, they need ya every day n not just for 5 mins a day

I have read Phillip glasier, falconry and hawking book, and a couple of others. I went out with someone out the countrymans weekly, he's advertised in there for training days. He is based in derby. Really good day, just didn't have the time due to work. Now iv gone self employed I can fit my hours to suit :)

if i could give you 1 small piece of advice it would be to gain as much knowledge as you can through books and dvds (dr nick fox is good dvd) and if you havnt already get martin hollisheads the complete hare and rabbit hawk! then find someone who has experience (mentor) or find someone who has a bird and spend as much time with them soaking up as much as you can coz boy your gonna need it!

im new to falconry and there is so much to learn and take in i have a young female harris and everyday with her is a school day!

and at this present time 1 of the most important thing for me is being able to put game up for her so having as much land to fly on is key as they say you can never have to much and that is so right

if there is one thing i have learned its that falconry is not a hobby its a lifestyle!!!

atb stu

Thanks I have land to fly on. I live on a farm which is close to a pheasant/partridge shoot so there is plenty of game on the land. I'm not planning on getting a bird anytime soon, just after some experience, and like you say a mentor so I can always give someone a call when the time comes to get myself out there. I will have a look into them books this week, I was looking at doing 1 of the courses at newent? Anyone know if it would be worth it? Lad I spoke to said I'm better going out doing it hands on?

Atb Matt

Thanks I have land to fly on. I live on a farm which is close to a pheasant/partridge shoot so there is plenty of game on the land. I'm not planning on getting a bird anytime soon, just after some experience, and like you say a mentor so I can always give someone a call when the time comes to get myself out there. I will have a look into them books this week, I was looking at doing 1 of the courses at newent? Anyone know if it would be worth it? Lad I spoke to said I'm better going out doing it hands on?

Atb Matt

ive only just got my first bird in august and was thinking of doing a course but luckly i found someone who was willing to tell and show me and i see him just about everyday the only thing is you my find a mentor but how do you know that he knows what hes on about ?? as i read a thread on the iff where some lad had a mentor yet he was asking there very basic questions that his mentor really should have known!! its tuff but with the right attitude and the right person behind you its great!!!

have you googled to see if there is a local club/meet near you that you can contact to tag alone to that would prob be your best bet you may even find someone there?

you say you live on a farm trust me that farm wont be enough get out and get more i have a huge plot to fly on and its not enough but luckily enough i have a few more places and i use my mentors land and he has loads but again that still not enough!! you can never have to much im sure all the guys on here will back that comment??

good luck mate

stu

Thanks. Hopefully I am going to see a chap tomorrow, he is a friend of my parents. They have a pair of Harris hawks and has flown birds all his life. I have been out today, and sorted some more permission for a bit of ferreting, this Is on a horse equestrian center with some woodland running through it, and they have give me the ok to fly birds of prey on here aswell. So things are looking good for the moment.

get out as often as you can with some one that has owned and have been flying birds for years,then get to the library and get as many books as you can and start reading up on the sport good luck bud