A still moonlit night

Since I got into running dogs I was told about the moon and how you shouldn't be out on it, truth be told a bit of advice I've always ignored if the weather was right. Anyway as I watched the news the forecast said that we were going to have force 9 winds so I decide having a pup that I would get out. Now even though this was a full moon it wasn't any moon but the hunters moon, the first full moon after the harvest moon, a moon believed to affect animals in strange ways. It's said to make crabs fatter, fish to run rivers to shallow and generally just confuse animals, why? Nobody actually knows but it's is believed to have a very strong lunar pull on the earth and mess with magnetic fields ... As normal I have digressed. 

I decided to take Panda to the farm that she caught her first bunny on to see how should would get on. This isn't a very big farm but it does contain two half's almost, normally I park in the middle and only do the top half. Tonight I decided to park at the top and do the whole farm, as I got out the car there wasn't the slightest bit of wind  but as I was here I thought I would do it anyway. On the top half of the farm there was absolutely nothing out but I thought I'd do the bottom half anyway. 

As I walked along the road I had a little flick in the cow field but still not even a sight of a rabbit, a very odd thing for this field. I got onto the big field that was the edge of the farm, the shoots where just coming through making it virtually  irresistible to coney. From just inside the gate I could see a squatter sat nye on mid field, I approached as quietly as I could. This rabbit was closer to the hedge to my right than the hedge I was coming from which made me abit wary of the bunny reaching home before I had got to give the pup a fair crack of the whip. I continued to walk towards it thinking any moment this bunny is going to run but it didn't til I was stood directly above it, I nudged it with my toe gently to start it. Panda already knew it was there as she seen it in the seat but I wanted her to get a run as I knew it could be her only. 

The coney headed for the hedge I had just come from with the white missile hot in pursuit, as it reached the hedge it did what most rabbits do and acted in a robotic like action and ran up an down the hedge almost as if attached to a track. There was several turns but I was struggling to see what was going on from where I was but heard the all to familiar 'bump and a squeak' . Once the bunny was in the bag I walked back to the gate to continue walking the field as I had first planned, as I crept down the hedge I could see a few sat out on this still moonlit night. The problem is that there is no hedge on this field but just abit of rough gorse with a sheep fence but there is occasionally one or two on the solid sides or far enough out to give the dog a fair go. As I watched the bunnies play in the field I remembered that I had cross an umbra but forgot to check the hedge. As I flicked the lamp in front of me there was two sat no more than fifteen feet away but where still completely unaware of our presence although Panda had seen them, I slipped her and I was sure that as soon as she left the slip they would be away but was gladly mistaken and the little white mongrel managed to grab it before it had moved, no was no bump and squeak though as the impact of her striking it on its head broke its neck, well so I believe. 

So Panda was 2 for 2 as I walked along the fence that separated the field from the waste land there was several coneys hopping about and although even though tempted I didn't want to run her on bunnies that she would never catch, so just carried on trotting around the field. 

The last field is abit of a pain to lamp with a young dog as 2 of the hedges aren't actually hedges but rough, thin cover that the rabbits don't even stop to enter, so from the gate I could already see that there was only  one bunny runnable on this field. Somehow on this still windless, moonlit night there was four squatters but only one was going to head for a solid hedge. I made sure that I got to the cover side of the bunny hoping that it would head for the actual hedge and luckily it did giving the pup just the chance I was hoping for, I seen the white scud missile in hot pursuit of her prey. Turn after turn on yet another Imaginary track up and down the hedge before being snapped up by the lucrative jaws of a pup that as time goes,  on my hopes and expectations for this young bitch become ever increasing. 

Now I could bore you with more details of how rabbits where acting odd and that I had to walk about a mile or so back to the car but I won't, I will mention one last thing though. As I got to the car I flashed the lamp and saw several coneys on the football pitch and gave panda one last run which she did miss, there was nothing about this run that stood out in my eyes other than the bunny got away. So I finished the night happily with three bunnies from four runs. 

I'm not putting them in there now pal, just gonna save em for here. Gonna write bother later as that is Friday night not last night where she had another 3 but had mates bitch there aswell so was a few more bunnies in the bag.

finally a decent bag worth talking about lol