Another double figure morning.

Been scouting fields all week but with the changeable weather and full moon they've been anything but dependable. Checked one of my fields on Monday and there was 200+ on it, checked it again Tuesday 150 on it, again on Wednesday not a goose to be seen. Found out the farmer had put them off. Thursday there was about 50 back so I got talking to him and told him to leave them alone if they were on it Friday so we could decoy it on Saturday morning.

My shooting partner checked it Friday morning and there was no geese on it at 12 o'clock. Went back at 3 o' clock and there was 150 on it. By the time i was coming home from work there was nearer 200 on it again so we decided to take the layout blinds out and grass them up. I rang our friends from Lough Neigh country to see if they wanted a morning out. When I told them what was on the field they didn't take much convincing. We knew the geese weren't heading out to roost till late because of the moon so we didn't head out until 8 this morning.

First flock arrived at 10:30. About 20 canadas. Decoyed lovely right in the hole, 8 fell. They were closely followed by a big flock of 60+. 4 split off and cupped up. We flattened them and when i was out gathering up another pair came locked up so i lay down in the middle of the decoys and called them. They came in lovely too and fell into the decoys. I had just got them gathered up and got back in the hide when 3 golden plover flew past the end of the decoys, I sat up and took 1 down and the other 2 headed on.

Then we had a long wait until the next geese at 2:30 6 geese circled us high, undoubtedly part of the big bunch that had been there earlier in the day. 2 was the best we could do from that bunch but half an hour later we had another bunch of thirty working the decoys. They worked lovely and we took another 7 down so we decided to pull the pin and pack up. That's 46 for the season to date. Not a bad start but they'll get tougher from now on.

post-70031-0-70603000-1348944822_thumb.jpg

I'd take that 6 days a week if i could get it brendy. There not going to be any simpler from here on in though. The weeds starting to break up now so they'll be loafin about the lough for the next few weeks feeding on that. Its a long time till febuary though. More will die!! You get any lags yet? The first of our divers and wigeon are starting to show up. Seen a good flock of teal this morning too. must have been 50+ in it.