springer spaniel help needed

There could be a few reasons why he isn't looking at you, more info needed. How long have you had it, what stage of training are you at and what's he like when he's close to you.

I had a small problem with mine not always paying attention, I used treats in my hand, he knew the bag was in my pocket and I made sure he saw me take one out, he completely focused on me until he got the treat, i.e. I would get him to do what ever task he was set, then he got the treat. I then started to reduce the treats and replace it with praise. It worked a treat, pardon the pun!

iv had him since he was 6 month and i did my training in a muddled up way if u understand i had him comeback to whistle first then retrieving and now sitting to the whistle

when you have the dog is sitting down and he looks away from you, blow the whistle and tell him to sit again. It gets the dogs attention and eventually he will get the idea. Also, when the dog comes back from a retrieve or does something well, you should make a fuss out of him by rubbing him on the head and saying things like "good boy" etc. This will make him like and respect you more. I would stay away from food treats because then the dog will think he has to get food for doing something right, and if you were out shooting you wouldn't want to have to be carrying bits of food around with you, it's much easier to simply pet him.

• Like 1

Billy08, Don't think you read my post right mate, treats only to be used in training then gradually replaced with praise, by the time he's ready for the field they'll be no need for them.

I think the fact you got him at 6mths is part of the problem,do you know his history before you got him? the bond you build in the first few months of the puppies life last for ever, he just needs plenty of one one time and not just training, tho fun must be built into your training.

Billy08, Don't think you read my post right mate, treats only to be used in training then gradually replaced with praise, by the time he's ready for the field they'll be no need for them.

I think the fact you got him at 6mths is part of the problem,do you know his history before you got him? the bond you build in the first few months of the puppies life last for ever, he just needs plenty of one one time and not just training, tho fun must be built into your training.

I did read your post Bradford, and i just gave my opinion. Nothing personal

I did read your post Bradford, and i just gave my opinion. Nothing personal

Didn't take it personal at all mate, sorry if it came across that way