Hi all I have been thinking of making my own knife now for a long time, and I am going to have a go , question I have is I need a good set of files to start with , I dont know what type I need to get started or the best place to get them from .

Also the steel I think I want to use is 01 tool steel is what I would like to have a go with. I have read that some people use old car springs are they any good or will this be hard for a beginner?. If it goes well and I get in to it I might think about getting better tools but will see , any help would be helpfull .

go for brand new o1 tool steel as it is anealed nice and soft ready to go you can drill it shape it the lot . single cut files are what you want and sandpaper from 60grit through the grades to 2000grit .

good luck mate make sure you heat treat and temper is right and you will have a great knife

forget leaf springs unless you have a forge and alot more tools the effort is not with the end product with reclame steel unless you know how to get the best from it !!

i look forward to seeing what you make .

all the best , matt.