Brick Built Kennel

Would it be possible to have a brick built kennel for the dogs?

Im moving house soon and got a fair back garden so trying to come up with a few ideas.

There is a concrete base 26' x 6' which was used as a kids play area at the top of the garden. I was thinking about Using galv panels to make a 16' x 6' for the lurcher and a 10' x 6' for the terrier and then put a brick built kennel at each end.

Im thinking brick built (either breeze block or house brick? or both with insulation between?) because my dogs are both serial chewers and are slowly eating away at their current wooden kennel and run.

Just wondering how feasible this would be? Would it be warm enough in winter? I would put a wooden base in and carpet it and then put a Galvanised lift up lid on it to get in and clean.

Gaz

I've got two outhouses that I am going to use as kennels so any pics of people's curren tones would be much appreciated for ideas.

I am going to be using the smaller one to house a couple of chest freezers to keep all the food in and the larger one will be for the three dogs (two collies and a saluki cross.

I am tossing a coin about the indoor design of the kennel as I think a raised bedding area would be required as the doors face the common direction of the wind so a come and go door system might be needed. Not sure what to put in that is practical.

mine are block 4ft square nice and warm in winter

Any pictures mate? mine would probably be about that size. Are they just breeze block? No insulation?

thanks to the other lads aswell for comments, appreciated.

Guest born to run1083

If there brick don't you need planning permission due to be classed as perminant structure.

I wanted brick also way more secure but was worried I might have to take it straight back down

If there brick don't you need planning permission due to be classed as perminant structure.

I wanted brick also way more secure but was worried I might have to take it straight back down

no should be fine as long as it was not to big , any thing shed sized should be fine

I've got two outhouses that I am going to use as kennels so any pics of people's curren tones would be much appreciated for ideas.

I am going to be using the smaller one to house a couple of chest freezers to keep all the food in and the larger one will be for the three dogs (two collies and a saluki cross.

I am tossing a coin about the indoor design of the kennel as I think a raised bedding area would be required as the doors face the common direction of the wind so a come and go door system might be needed. Not sure what to put in that is practical.

heres a few pics of mine

coursing71207004.jpg

DSCF1098.jpg

lamping209.07002.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers Tomo. That looks ideal, when can I move in? :)

Definitely need some electrics wiring in so I can put a heat lamp in the main bit and of course make the freezers work. Those raised beds look pretty sturdy, could have a bunk system in and then get loads more dogs ;)

The concrete roof on mine leaks so that needs to be taken care of first and I might put a slanted roof on from the house to the back of the outhouses, just a bit worries about the wind deciding it is no longer a required feature. A roof will alos provide the opportunity to put a guttering system on and collect the water as the dogs lap up any tepid water about from roadside puddles to lake water but they aren;t too keen on our tap water, must be the chlorine.

hutch i just used a leghth of extansion cable for the electrics,, drilled a hole at head hight through the wall of the outhouse,, took the plug off and threaded the cable through,,it then goes across a gap to the back door of my house, hole drilled through the door frame,, and stapled down the inside ,and along the skirting in the porch to a socket,, the extension runs the heat light and a chest feezer,, no probs

Ah, I don't trust my abilities with that electrickery witchcraft and I certainly don't want to burn anything down so I'll get my mate's sparky dad to wire it up proper, plus as I'll be selling in a couple of years it's better to get certified work done, especially if it's done for mate's rates. Finding a cheap chest freezer or two is pretty hard to do - mission accepted though.