Making Fox Snare Swivels

I have been industrious and begun making up my own snare making items, and fter discussions and advice from GSW and a few attempts in the workshop appear to have now cracked it.

The jig itself was realtively easy to make with the most basic welding skills - the secret is to have the removable pin - in this case a 3 inch steel nail.

SnareSwivels010.jpg

First pic shows the wire - galvanised 2.5mm fencing wire with a bend approx 4 inches from one end.

SnareSwivels001.jpg

This is how I aligned it in the jig - one 'end' on either side of the pin to begin the turns.

SnareSwivels002.jpg

First turns on - both in the same direction until one end catches up with the other

SnareSwivels006.jpg

Continue until 5 full turns are made, trim off excess, remove the pin and extract your swivel.

SnareSwivels007.jpg

The finished product

SnareSwivels008.jpg

I hope this helps you all - it is certainly easier for me to grasp when I see pictures. All of the praise should well deservedly go to the 'snareman' for his great assistance.

OTC

Looks good :clapper: ... the way i saw them being made was a bit different to that... there was a bar, which attached to a work bench, that you wrap the wire around to create the big loop, then you passed a metal pin through the bar bending one wire over the top and one wire underneath the pin. you then slid a handle on the pin and punshed up against the wire which fitted into slots then you spun the and that created the turns....

I'm not sure how clear that is so i've added a "diagram" to try and make it a bit clearer :)

• 3 weeks later...

You want a nice swivel, go to a fishing shop and get some Barrel Swivels. You want an inline swivel not an end swivel. once the animal is caught and wraps once the end swivel doesn't work anymore.

Here's one weaved in.

snare4.jpg

an exstension cable is the way to go, put the leader around a tree fence post and put the snare through the loop bang your down the road. A system like this you can set 200-300 in a day with a well planned line.

snare2.jpg