Research on Walter Coton cartridge maker

Hi im hoping someone may be able to help me with some research im doing into my great grandfather Walter Coton.

Heres what I know, he was born in coventry in 1816, a cartridge maker and champion live pigeon shot. I believe he may have made cartridges for the King?

I did used to have several of his brochurs but unfortunatly they were destroyed.

I would be interested in any information especially if anyones got any of his old cartridges or brochurs.

Thanks Jon

• 4 years later...

hello

ive just come across your article as ive also been trying to research my great grandfather walter coton so im guessing we may be related but the info I have from his hunting editorial is that his first win was at the age of 21 when he won a bullock in stratford on avon in 1883 making him born in 1862 and he won the grand international cup in brighton august 2nd 1896,

my grandmother was born Florence Nellie Coton and married bill Thornton, had 3 children William (bill) a daughter (my aunt) and godfrey (my dad)

I do recall grandmother saying that he made cartridges for the king so perhaps we are related but I don't know anyone called jon, most of the family come from the midlands although I grew up in Cambridge and now live in Norfolk.

would love to hear from you as I do have some some cartridges with walter coton and some other info although a bit tatty now.

Andrew