Velocity, Grain, Ft-lb, Cal.

Guest Rabbiteer

Guest Rabbiteer

We all know what can be done to the HW90 Gas Ram to increase the pressure to FAC rate it.

Have been thinking about something so I thought you guys might be able to shed some light on it.

So here goes.

.177 air rifles tend to be about 16-18Ftlb (FAC rated) to optimise accuracy and pellet stability.

The HW90 can be pumped up to 28FTlb in with no adverse effects.

They have just started to sell solid boat tailed FAC rated pellets with a very high grainage I think .177 is over 20 grains.

With such a high grain of pellet the HW90 should be able to be pumped up to 25+ftlb and still remain slower than the sound barrier and not deform the pellet as it is a FAC rated solid slug.

So there fore It COULD be possible to have a new 25-30Ftlb .177 gun for less than £300. :icon_eek:

Now that would be interesting................................... :laugh:

Edited by Rabbiteer

Guest baldie

Completely pointless, owt over 16 ft/lbs ish, just put tiny holes in anything, without transferring energy for a knock down kill. Been there, done it, wont be doing it again.

Air arms field will go to 40FTLBS and not deform as will Bismags.The boat tailed pellets you are on about are I take it Hugh Earls piledrivers??Most inaccurate after years of testing ..I have been involved with them so I do know.With normal pellets ie bismags airarms etc you will have to go well over the poundage figures you are stating for them to go supersonic.HW90 at that power would shoot shit and be loopy to say the least.Go for flatness and FPS much better :)

Guest Rabbiteer

I do agree it would be a bizaar combination.

One that I would not be using myself, but this was all about creating discussion on the technicalities of such a thought.

So at at the moment it seems to be a none starter.................. :hmm: