I found 4 tufted duck eggs on the island of a small lake today which had been predated, they were spread across an area underneath a low bush on the island and no nest was visable. Each egg had a whole of on one side where presuably the contents had been sucked out. Now as it was on an island it couldnt be a fox, so I suspect either a crow or mink...any ideas? Thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

far to clear to be one of your pics

well personally i hate the little feckers

That could be your coots...............shoot them on sight...

Posted Images

Guest long-tail

I found 4 tufted duck eggs on the island of a small lake today which had been predated, they were spread across an area underneath a low bush on the island and no nest was visable. Each egg had a whole of on one side where presuably the contents had been sucked out. Now as it was on an island it couldnt be a fox, so I suspect either a crow or mink...any ideas? Thanks

the way you describe the small hole with contents removed i dont believe it was a fox either but dont be fooled into thinking foxes dont swim out to islands to predate on nesting birds they do :thumbs:

the way you describe the small hole with contents removed i dont believe it was a fox either but dont be fooled into thinking foxes dont swim out to islands to predate on nesting birds they do :thumbs:

:yes: :yes: Seen it happen a few times on my fishing ponds

:thumbs:

post-896-0-51002400-1336249426.jpg

Guest long-tail

done a bit of work experiance before leaving school at the rspb at dungeness in kent see a fox couple hundred yards out on an island scavenging,only one way it got there and it never had a boat :D the old guy reckoned he see them swimming out regular :thumbs: Edited by long-tail

done a bit of work experiance before leaving school at the rspb at dungeness in kent see a fox couple hundred yards out on an island scavenging,only one way it got there and it never had a boat :D the old guy reckoned he see them swimming out regular :thumbs:

Once they learn that theres easy picking out there then the birds have a problem. Ruthless!!!!

Guest long-tail

far to clear to be one of your pics :laugh:
  • Like 1

far to clear to be one of your pics :laugh:

:laugh:
Guest long-tail

done a bit of work experiance before leaving school at the rspb at dungeness in kent see a fox couple hundred yards out on an island scavenging,only one way it got there and it never had a boat :D the old guy reckoned he see them swimming out regular :thumbs:

Once they learn that theres easy picking out there then the birds have a problem. Ruthless!!!!

true mate,as for the eggs iv seen gulls leave them near whole with the contents gone lot of possibilities as to the culprit
:laugh: About the boat Long-Tail mate, there was 1 that we seen last year swimming to a island 3 nights in a row, the 4th night it got a .22-250 for it's troubles since our hunting law meant I couldn't slip my dogs on it :toast: , good pic Fuzzy mate :victory: