Night vision scopes????

How do night vision work is it literally see I'n complete darkness I'm getting fed up of my little lamp don't know anything about night vision all I know I I got land flooded with bunnies and a lamp that doesn't last too long!

How do night vision work is it literally see I'n complete darkness I'm getting fed up of my little lamp don't know anything about night vision all I know I I got land flooded with bunnies and a lamp that doesn't last too long!

Whilst the posts above will give you detailed info on night vision the basic reply is...

No not all night vision can see in total darkness unless you use additional IR illumination.

Basically tubed nv units come in: Gen 1 which definitely needs additional IR illumination. Gen 2 which mostly benifits from additional IR but can be used in complete darkness without IR on bright nights and Gen 3 which can usually be used without additional IR to see in complete darkness although this also benifits from additional IR illumination to give eye shine and to spot in shadows on on extremely dark nights.

The other option is digital nv which also needs additional IR illumination but can't be damaged by bright lights like tubed nv units.

You then have the choice of nv add on, which is an nv device that clips on the back of your dayscope so you can use the same rifle for shooting day or night. Add on's nearly always need additional IR illumination because of the loss of light through all the lenses.

Or a dedicated nv scope which again benifits from additional IR for eye shine and clarity but can get away with a lot less IR because it's more responsive to light with less lenses but this does tie up one rifle for night shooting unless you go for a digital unit like a pulsar N550 which can be used day or night or use QR mounts to swap dayscope and nv scope.

For rabbits the cheapest and effective method would be an add on with IR illuminator. You need to look through a few to see what suits you.Gen 1 Challenger's were all the rage but now digital seems to be taking over for closer range shooting so try and test out a few systems before you buy because nv gets very expensive and addictive so it's better to make the right choice first time.

• Like 1

Whilst the posts above will give you detailed info on night vision the basic reply is...

No not all night vision can see in total darkness unless you use additional IR illumination.

Basically tubed nv units come in: Gen 1 which definitely needs additional IR illumination. Gen 2 which mostly benifits from additional IR but can be used in complete darkness without IR on bright nights and Gen 3 which can usually be used without additional IR to see in complete darkness although this also benifits from additional IR illumination to give eye shine and to spot in shadows on on extremely dark nights.

The other option is digital nv which also needs additional IR illumination but can't be damaged by bright lights like tubed nv units.

You then have the choice of nv add on, which is an nv device that clips on the back of your dayscope so you can use the same rifle for shooting day or night. Add on's nearly always need additional IR illumination because of the loss of light through all the lenses.

Or a dedicated nv scope which again benifits from additional IR for eye shine and clarity but can get away with a lot less IR because it's more responsive to light with less lenses but this does tie up one rifle for night shooting unless you go for a digital unit like a pulsar N550 which can be used day or night or use QR mounts to swap dayscope and nv scope.

For rabbits the cheapest and effective method would be an add on with IR illuminator. You need to look through a few to see what suits you.Gen 1 Challenger's were all the rage but now digital seems to be taking over for closer range shooting so try and test out a few systems before you buy because nv gets very expensive and addictive so it's better to make the right choice first time.

Cheers that's some great info I'm currently looking into the Sony nv cam and ir lamp. Just need to find one small enought to attach to my scope at a reasonable price!

That'll do all you need for rabbits, there's lists on other forums for the best cams to use but if you post in the nv section Im sure someone will recommend a few. Apart from the old breezeblock camcorders which I used for nv carcass watching years back I've only used a pc9e and whilst it worked well I mainly shoot centrefires and foxes so it didn't fully suit my needs but was a bit of fun. I believe the hd camcorders with a 1/3 chip or lower work best now.

You'll definitely need additional IR with a camcorder so budget for that aswell. A decent IR illuminator is the N1000ap but at £145 a lot go for the likes of odiforce etc because they are cheaper but not as powerfull.