Hi folks,

I'm seriously thinking of having a go at the camera mounted ir setup with the ir300. The problem i have is what do i need to attatch a Sony handycam to my rifle and is the Sony PC9E the best camera to do the job? I ideally want the setup to work on my pcp, spring air, rim and centrefire rifles but honestly have know real idea if this is possible?

I've decided to go for the ir300 unles anyone else can convince me on anything better.

Any advise would be greatly apreciated.

All the best Chris.

hi mate,

i use a sony handycam sr33e combined with the ir300 its fantastic i get out to 150m spotting range easily with a 1/6 chip sensor.

as far as mounting you will need a 30mm step up adapter stepping up to a similar measurement as the pipe you are using to connect to your scope

post-56154-0-89610000-1297278143_thumb.jpg

post-56154-0-64491700-1297360965_thumb.jpg

post-56154-0-36713300-1297360996_thumb.jpg

measure the thickness of the scope where the camera is going to sit on it or find a piece of pipe ,plastic or metal which is a tight fit over the scope.measure diameter of pipe and buy a 30 mm step up camera adaptor to whatever size which matches the outside thickness of the piece of pipe,try to get one which is tight .glue /and or tape the step up filter to the pipe .if the pipe you choose is slightly thicker than scope put a bit of tape over scope so that the pipe fits over snugly.

in the picture above it ,shows the step up filter which is the black part and the white section is a bit of plastic pipe, a plumbing connector joint with black tape over it , which fits closely over the scope and which has been stuck to the adaptor with glue or tape.no good looking for the pipe realy on e bay,just look as some plastic plumbing pipe in the house or plumbing section in a shop. so if you get a tight fitting bit of pipe for the scope measure the outside diameter thickness and say it is 50 mm then look on e bay for a 30mm - 50 mm step up adaptor or take pipe to camers shop and try various ones for best fit.hope this clears it up.

Edited by dogvixen01

Nice one pal, and heres me thinking you actually get such a thing, want a laugh i am a plumbing heating engineer and i was thinking it looked rather like a waste fitting.

I've all the different sizes in my bloody garage.

Cheers Chris. :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

as above

it is quite hard to explain so i will make it as simple as possible mate

take your scope off and go to b&q

find a piece of plastic plumbing pipe,connector that will fit over your scope - not too tight just enough

use some electrical tape round your scope to eyepiece to thicken it for the pipe connector and to protector your scope from it scratching

measure the diameter of the other end of the pipe (not the scope end) and then go onto ebay and buy a 30mm step up filter that is close to the diameter - for example if the diameter is 50mm buy a 30mm - 47mm step up adapter and file the pipe down to fit

fit the step up filter to the pipe using epoxy resin/glue - b&q

your camera will then simply screw onto to 30mm thread and then you attach it to your scope.

the problem with the camera you are looking at you will need to have it upside down and then use editing software to flip it - view si's posts.

if you are still unsure PM me and i will give you a call explaining

if you are using an mtc scope then it is a different process.

atb

scott

Nice one pal, and heres me thinking you actually get such a thing, want a laugh i am a plumbing heating engineer and i was thinking it looked rather like a waste fitting.

I've all the different sizes in my bloody garage.

Cheers Chris. :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

thats exactly what it is but dependent on your scope it might need a different fitting

also make the camera lens as close to the eyepiece as possible

Yep sorted pal ,many thanks.

It'll work fine on my rims and air but unfortunately the bolt on my Steyr .243 is never going to slip past it and it would also mean having the camers at least 4 inches back from the scope due to the length of the bolt as well.

Back to the drawing board as i really wanted it for the centre fire.

I reckon i'm back to square one here and going to have to buy a nv scope instead, thinking cap on again.

Bit worried my .243 might rattle the camera to bit too.

Cheers all the same as i'll go down this route with the camera for the rest om my firearms.

Thanks Chris.

measure the thickness of the scope where the camera is going to sit on it or find a piece of pipe ,plastic or metal which is a tight fit over the scope.measure diameter of pipe and buy a 30 mm step up camera adaptor to whatever size which matches the outside thickness of the piece of pipe,try to get one which is tight .glue /and or tape the step up filter to the pipe .if the pipe you choose is slightly thicker than scope put a bit of tape over scope so that the pipe fits over snugly.

in the picture above it ,shows the step up filter which is the black part and the white section is a bit of plastic pipe, a plumbing connector joint with black tape over it , which fits closely over the scope and which has been stuck to the adaptor with glue or tape.no good looking for the pipe realy on e bay,just look as some plastic plumbing pipe in the house or plumbing section in a shop. so if you get a tight fitting bit of pipe for the scope measure the outside diameter thickness and say it is 50 mm then look on e bay for a 30mm - 50 mm step up adaptor or take pipe to camers shop and try various ones for best fit.hope this clears it up.

lol

hi mate,

i use a sony handycam sr33e combined with the ir300 its fantastic i get out to 150m spotting range easily with a 1/6 chip sensor.

as far as mounting you will need a 30mm step up adapter stepping up to a similar measurement as the pipe you are using to connect to your scope

I use the above with this adapter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/L-Telescope-Adapter-Sony-A560-A33-A55-A580-A390-/220770408611?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item3366f118a3

plus a step up ring that fits the sr33e http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-30mm-37mm-30-37-Step-Up-lens-Filter-Ring-Adapter-/120738525431?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN&hash=item1c1c93b0f7

All for under £40