Advice on catapult accuracy

After trawling through the amazing catapult thread I decided to get a catapult for the first time in about twenty years. As a result I recently bought an old-fashioned milbro with theraband gold bands. After a bit of target practice I'm coming up with one main issue so thought I'd ask some advice in the hope of rectifying any errors sooner rather than later.

My main issue is occasional fork strike ( I think that's the right phrase: basically a few dents on the left hand fork around the binding and just below). I'm finding that my general accuracy is far greater, as is the power, when I hold the catapult horizontally as opposed to vertically and I'm wondering if this is adding to the problem ie is it because the vertical plane between the two forks isn't being held at 90 degrees with the ground (does that make sense) and hence narrowing the space between the forks. I don't think I'm getting any strike when I fire holding vertically but, as mentioned above, my accuracy and power are far inferior.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi mate ! , there,s lots of tips and advice on youtube regarding cattys, also some good cat users on here, who I am sure will be long soon to advise, hope this helps atb Steve.

Thanks Steve, Gaffer and Mick: those comments are already making a lot of sense. Will have another try later today and see if it's improved. Also, forgot to mention in the first post that I'm using ma

Here ya go buddy this will help with fitting bands   Atb rob

i shoot mine to the side not vert its loads easier i find pull ya elastic to ya cheek look down the band you should be looking down a top band place the top of ya falk over ya target center ya bands make sure ya amo is center just let go dont move ya arm holding ya catty its called folow threw should do the trick once you get ya aim in you then can pull the bands further to ya ear more power try close shots 1st and just step back after you keep hiting ya spot let me now how ya get on buddy :thumbs:

After trawling through the amazing catapult thread I decided to get a catapult for the first time in about twenty years. As a result I recently bought an old-fashioned milbro with theraband gold bands. After a bit of target practice I'm coming up with one main issue so thought I'd ask some advice in the hope of rectifying any errors sooner rather than later.

My main issue is occasional fork strike ( I think that's the right phrase: basically a few dents on the left hand fork around the binding and just below). I'm finding that my general accuracy is far greater, as is the power, when I hold the catapult horizontally as opposed to vertically and I'm wondering if this is adding to the problem ie is it because the vertical plane between the two forks isn't being held at 90 degrees with the ground (does that make sense) and hence narrowing the space between the forks. I don't think I'm getting any strike when I fire holding vertically but, as mentioned above, my accuracy and power are far inferior.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thanks in advance.

hi the main cause of fork hits is not having your bands straight on pull back,, if you have your catapult straight in front of you 9 times out of ten you will be pulling it back towards your ear,, which is not straight,,there is other factors like the bands being too strong nd hard to pull back,,put a pic up of how you shoot nd also of you catty, nd i will try my best to help you,, i practice shooting at floating plastic bottles on a pond, with pea gravel ,,thats so i can have loads of practice nd see where i am hitting,the straighter the pull back nd release the better the shot,,atb mick :icon_redface:

Thanks Steve, Gaffer and Mick: those comments are already making a lot of sense. Will have another try later today and see if it's improved. Also, forgot to mention in the first post that I'm using marbles...simply because I have a poundland shop in my local town so can get them in packs of 121 for a quid! My three year old is also really pleased with the extra marbles for his marble run!

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, Gaffer and Mick: those comments are already making a lot of sense. Will have another try later today and see if it's improved. Also, forgot to mention in the first post that I'm using marbles...simply because I have a poundland shop in my local town so can get them in packs of 121 for a quid! My three year old is also really pleased with the extra marbles for his marble run!

i use marbles mate make good ammo have shot a lot of stuff with them but when you get used to shooting right switch to 12 mill lead all ya shots will be straighter :thumbs:

try smaller ammo,,not only will it travel faster nd be more accurate you will also have less chance of hitting your forks,,about 5mm or 8mm

Don't put your thumb on that thumb pad!!! You'll shoot your thumb, trust me!!! The forks need to be held parallel to your pouch hand as others have said and the ball/marble needs to be dead centre in the pouch and the pouch needs to be held so that it's perfectly in half and the bands are of equal length. I'd stick with your marbles or try lead or even steel. I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm steel. Smaller than that has poor accuracy and doesn't retain much energy. I'll try and put a photo up of how you should hold the catty but it won't be today.

Don't put your thumb on that thumb pad!!! You'll shoot your thumb, trust me!!! The forks need to be held parallel to your pouch hand as others have said and the ball/marble needs to be dead centre in the pouch and the pouch needs to be held so that it's perfectly in half and the bands are of equal length. I'd stick with your marbles or try lead or even steel. I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm steel. Smaller than that has poor accuracy and doesn't retain much energy. I'll try and put a photo up of how you should hold the catty but it won't be today.

:hmm: :hmm: :whistling: :whistling: in air guns why is 177 use for field target shooting rather than 22 + a 22 pellet will kill most game at 20 yards,,so 5mm or 8 mm shot from doubble theraband gold would be shooting well over 12ft lb psi :hmm:

Thanks again for all the advice!

Next question: how to replace the binding! :blink::icon_redface:

Today has definitately been one of those cases of over-theorizing when I should have been going by instinct. The first time I tried the catapult, which was last Sunday, I was gradually getting better but had about half a dozen or so cases of fork strike (roughly one in ten shots at a rough guess) hence starting the thread. However, today I found myself over-analyzing every shot...before, during and after...and ended up with far more fork strike: four in a row at one point. As a result, the peppering of shots around the binding had actually worn it away so I need to re-thread and bind it. As I'm not a bad workman I'll accept responsibility rather than blaming the catapult or binding. :icon_redface:

All the damage has been to the left hand fork (top one as I shoot) with none at all anywhere else. Does this mean I need to align the pouch up a tad or down when aiming...or maybe further to the left or right? :blink:

Thanks again for all the advice!

Next question: how to replace the binding! :blink::icon_redface:

Today has definitately been one of those cases of over-theorizing when I should have been going by instinct. The first time I tried the catapult, which was last Sunday, I was gradually getting better but had about half a dozen or so cases of fork strike (roughly one in ten shots at a rough guess) hence starting the thread. However, today I found myself over-analyzing every shot...before, during and after...and ended up with far more fork strike: four in a row at one point. As a result, the peppering of shots around the binding had actually worn it away so I need to re-thread and bind it. As I'm not a bad workman I'll accept responsibility rather than blaming the catapult or binding. :icon_redface:

All the damage has been to the left hand fork (top one as I shoot) with none at all anywhere else. Does this mean I need to align the pouch up a tad or down when aiming...or maybe further to the left or right? :blink:

if your hitting left fork your pulling back to right or moving your holding hand on release,,, snipe nose plyeirs needed or a loop of string wrap a elastic band round your bands nd catty forks about 5 times then put plyiers there nd carry on wrapping 3 times ,then open plyiers grab elastic band and pull it though with plyiers locking elastic on its self,, with loop of string it just same but u put loop there after 5 ,,nd wrap 3 more over loop put it inside loop nd pull both ends locking elastic on its self,, hope you understand how i explained it,,