Great Game Fairs of Ireland racing update

A non ped whippet is generations of whippet x greyhound breeding and most are registered NWRA ,and have pedigrees to show that they are whippet /greyhound x but an unregistered whippet is a full bred whippet that has not been registered which could be for many reasons,(people not being to afford to register or not bothered because they dont plan to breed from it or maybe the person they got it off never bothered to register the parents )

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes cause you will get far in life only doing what you want to do, what a load of i moan because i dont see why my 8 year old should have to race his whippet along with lurchers and im sure if you

very sporting attitude minty ,you run whippets as lurchers have done for for a while, your just spoiling proper sporting peoples fun, got recall on your dogs yet lol! you run a nonped as a lurcher and

i can only speak for myself and after reading the posts and the pm`s ive had on it i will hold an under 21"race and a whippet race without the need for papers,if on the day a dog lines up on the start

Lurcher 330 this is the point I have been trying to get across to Albert for almost a year now that a non ped is a lurcher type dog NOT a Whippet but for some reason he won't accept this fact

PTB ,

We have accepted that a non ped whippet i.e a whippet with greyhound blood is not the same as a KC registered whippet but I have highlighted the difficulty with distinguishing between un registered and non ped whippets.

Albert

Even the fact of you calling these dogs non ped whippets is enough to confuse people they are race bread LURCHERS whippet type LURCHERS. If you put a race on for non ped lurchers you will get enough dogs to justify it as a lot of people have these type of dog comming up for this years racing. If you put the race on for them they will enter it and that will be the end of the problem. Then if they want to run the winner of against the winner of the under 23" and over 23" you have a good final.

Even the fact of you calling these dogs non ped whippets is enough to confuse people they are race bread LURCHERS whippet type LURCHERS. If you put a race on for non ped lurchers you will get enough dogs to justify it as a lot of people have these type of dog comming up for this years racing. If you put the race on for them they will enter it and that will be the end of the problem. Then if they want to run the winner of against the winner of the under 23" and over 23" you have a good final.

UTB

The problem that could arise is that someone could present one of these dogs as an un reg whippet. What do you suggest then or are you saying we should run a race for KC registered whippets only and everything else in a say under 21"?

Albert

If people have a proper non ped race to run in they would not want to race or need to race with whippets.At the end of the day a non ped ( lurcher ) can qualifiy to run at the big events eg chatsworth etc or even your own master McGrath as whippets can't.Also if you run the whippet race for both reg and unreg whippet intogether before the non ped race if anyone has a dispute with a whippet it can then be put into the non ped race if the dispute cannot be resolved

If people have a proper non ped race to run in they would not want to race or need to race with whippets.At the end of the day a non ped ( lurcher ) can qualifiy to run at the big events eg chatsworth etc or even your own master McGrath as whippets can't.Also if you run the whippet race for both reg and unreg whippet intogether before the non ped race if anyone has a dispute with a whippet it can then be put into the non ped race if the dispute cannot be resolved

UTB,

I have had no response from Non Ped owners as to how many want to race - either PM or public ( I can understand this) so it would appear there may be little or no point in putting on a race for them. So should we simply revert to your suggestion of running KC Registered and non registered whippets together? Comments please from KC registered owners.

Albert

albert spread the problem between you and the owners.im sure theres enough to do on the day.run them up together and if anyone has a question on a dogs breeding let them bring it up on the line instead of behind peoples backs,you could appoint a person on the line to sort this out.

Edited by kegs

My own opinion is that there are too many varients !

You have the KC Whippet, the non-registered pedigree Whippet. Then you have the small, light racing Whippet ie Paris and Ernie (both Under 23` and around the 30lb mark). Then you have the heavy Under 23` 45lbs ish like Diego, China and my own Winnie.

The small, light racing Whippet has NO chance against the heavy Under 23`. Just like the KC and non-registered pedigree whippet has NO chance against the light racing Whippet. If he can beat them, then i`d question his breeding !

I think there needs to be some clarifacation as to what the likes of Ernie (now retired) and Paris are classed as !

Some people, myself included, class them as racing whippets, where as others class them as under 23` lurchers.

Then the wording of the class has to be exact. You put down an event for a non-registered whippet, as was the case in Birr with Ernie, then it leads it self open to people to voice their opinions....... and don`t we all know how some love to do it !

Then who decides what is what and what is wrong and right..... more disagreements, but I feel it does need to be sorted !

• Like 1

Martin the dogs you have named I presume all have gryhound blood in them, yes maybe only a little, but as you said a full whippet will never beat them.but at the end of the day if they have any greyhound blood at all they are non ped/ small lurchers !!!!!thus why we need everyone with one to speak up now so Albert can decide if it is worth putting a class on for them. Dazam are you not intending on racing one of these dogs this year ???

i dont understand what this big problem is if its got greyhound blood in it its not a whippet an thats it if your dog has papers or mother an father is reg an yours isnt its still a whippet whats so hard about it everyones taken the fun out of it its only ment to be a bit of fun but the way things are going you be better running a greyhound on a track yous will b weighing them in an putting up traps in the next few years

i dont understand what this big problem is if its got greyhound blood in it its not a whippet an thats it if your dog has papers or mother an father is reg an yours isnt its still a whippet whats so hard about it everyones taken the fun out of it its only ment to be a bit of fun but the way things are going you be better running a greyhound on a track yous will b weighing them in an putting up traps in the next few years

meant to be a bit of fun lol have you seen some of these people racing their dogs ?All they bloody do is give out

if u read back on topics i havent seen anyone one of these people who races there dogs on herre mouthing and complaining about the way its done as they get on with it

if i was to go get a first x whippet greyhound an bred it that far back to greyhounds an go to a greyhound track are they going 2 let me race my dog or tattoo the dog no as they will laugh at me as its still classed as a long dog or lurcher its still not pure

A lot of you are missing the point !

In the UK there is what is classed as Non-pedigree WHIPPETS. This has been classed as this for up on 50 years and everybody accepts it. We have the monthly magazine the Whippet News with dogs from 16lbs-40lbs classed as racing Whippets. Then you have the heavier Scratch dogs but they still come under the same banner and code of racing and it is accepted. There a few of this type of dog now appearing over here. Ernie possibly could have been one of the first ?

The pedigree Whippets have their own organisation and the racing is competive, but you have numbers which makes for organisations to be formed. That is not the case here !

There are no big organisations over here which can make decisions. The `racing` over here is nothing like what goes on in the UK and is in most cases a free for all up a field. It`s good fun and competitive and nice to win. However, until somebody gets the bull by the horns and draws up guidelines for all shows, then this will always leave it self open to controversey !

I think the Roscrea Club have the right sort of `race` meets and it would be great if some group or organisation up North tried running a meet under their format. I don`t like the showing and to stand around waiting for the showing to finish before the racing takes place frustrates me ! For any of you that haven`t been to the meets in Roscrea, you could do worse than come down to their meet on March 18th where no doubt the fastest dogs in the country will be competing !

Good luck Shane and the lads with it !

Edited by Martin Tucker
  • Like 1