lightforce overheating

Hi, i fitted a lightforce striker to my isuzu rodeo roof last week. Yesterday when i got in there was a burning smell for me to discover it has burnt out the switch!!! I am that fed up with the quality of lightforce that im taking it out and replacing it with a silver hella, which has a crap beam but they never have any of the usual lightforce over heating problems. Any suggestions. This is a brand new light and handle incase anyone is wondering!

was it plugged into the cigarette holder when it burned out.these lamps take a heavy load around 8.5 amps.if there are any loose connections on the lamp or a poor connection th the cigarette holder they will get hot and burn out the wiring.best thing i have found for a lamp to be used whist in the car is to run a lead directly off the battery ,with an in -line fuse at least 10 amp ,run the lead into the car through a gap in the dash interior and connect it to a plug.,or house hold electric socket have another plug on the end of the lamp lead which fits into plug or socket in the car.the plug/socket can be attached to car for extra security,a lot of people have bought these lamp and had problems with the wiring internally.you might just have been unfortunately another one.considering the price of these lamps they can be very poor with the internal lamp wiring along with the fact that their dimmer switches pack up and very difficult to get a proper replacement.

Edited by dogvixen01

.considering the price of these lamps they can be very poor with the internal lamp wiring along with the fact that their dimmer switches pack up and very difficult to get a proper replacement.

My dimmered 170 striker lamp got very hot the other week and packed up. Took it apart and found the insulation on the spade connector had melted allowing the connector to touch the metal strip (heatsink?) and short it out.

Thinking it was probably a goner, I thought I'd give it another go and bent the strip away from the spade connector. Plugged it in and blow me, the bl**dy thing worked!!

So, wrapped the connector in Rhino self amalgamating tape, put it back together and off we go again, 'til the next time.

Got the Rhino tape on-line but have seen it in Maplins - it's good stuff to keep in the glovebox!!

I also run a fused lead straight from the battery and use a 2, or 3 pin Duraplug rather than the cig lighter.

That's me,

atb

FBW