Why use X in a lurcher ?

Hi Sela, I’m newbie here I just pop in now and again to see what’s going on in the world of lurchers.

After being brought up and hunting most of my life, I don’t keep any dogs now mainly because I’m the wrong side of sixty. My dogs were pot fillers, pretty handy at fur and feather, not hare dogs but would take a lucky odd one or two.

The breeding was mainly a mixture of whippet, greyhound and collie, one or two also had a bit of bedlington in them

I do appreciate that you may have a problem finding the right type of cross for what you wish to hunt and over the land you hunt on.

I was down your way and stopped a couple nights in Montagu last year; I would think you need something agile to work in those fruit orchards. My starting point would be a whippet X greyhound for speed and agility. I’d cross that to a whippet/greyhound X bedlington. They results should be fast and agile enough to come up on a Jackal and the bedlington influence should give it enough vim to sort one out. A pair bred like that or with a bit of bull instead of bedlington, would be fun to hunt with and keep the Jackals down.

What you’d need if you regularly go off the cultivated land.......... I don’t know, pretty hard and rough ground to hunt on, must be tough on the dogs feet.

Here’s a couple of photo’s took from the R318 just outside of Montagu to show the kind of ground that Sela is probably hunting over.

GV8.jpg

GV9.jpg

Good luck.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The guys "harping on" about jackals, as you put it, because he is from SOUTH AFRICA !!! This forum has members frm all over the world, not just the UK, and I for one, enjoy reading about dogs and quar

OK, I've got a few spare minutes, so I'll try and give MY answers to your questions, which I STRESS, are only MY opinions.   1, Yes Whippet and Greyhound are the usual base breeds for Lurchers, for

Your best buying a book matey. for beginners. Because the answers you will get here off all the uprising top born hunters will be mindboogling and piss taking. As for the " Why a bull and not a staf

Is a boerxgrey same as a stag hound or similar? I been doing a bit research mainly looking at dogs used to catch wild boar in Australia, now they use stag hound, ridgeback, cattle dogs, pitbulls etc n these dogs look shit hot they can take a good beating would this sort of thing not be of any use to you specially on ground like them pics be interesting to see what you get and very interested to see any success you have in getting them jakals

a boergrey is basically a bigger greyhound They do have some other blood in them but I don't know what it is. They have bigger feet and are not as fast as normal greyhounds but they have stamina. I have heard of dogs doing a chase at top speed for about 2 km ( 1.2 miles) The breeders are normally from a different part of the country where they farm with grain so they have big open field that there dogs work on. So boergreyhound (boer=farmer) is a dog that is used by farmers and were made by farmers.

This is not my dog but this is to show you what they look like They can reach anything from 30' - 35"

Where did you stay YAN that area looks very familiar to me ?

6828039143_55f44ab016.jpg

We have a chap here in Australia that kept Boargreyhound and an from what he has said they are very simular to the stag or kangaroo dog both these breed were exported to Africa and india during colonial times the african dogs have been infused with ridgeback and boarbul for thicker skin and stronger bone. So I have been told. he used his dogs on all manner of antilope, jackal, brown hyeana and warthog.

• Like 1