Cartridges

Guest baldie
dose no one use  SSG OR THE BIGGER BUT HARDER HITTING LG now i know they will go deep enough. :11:

I knew a chap who was on a fox drive in lincolnshire, many years back, the chap next to him shot at a fox, coming out of the wood, he was using ssg/ lg, one of them went clean through the wood, without hitting a tree, and hit a beater in the head, 250 yards into the wood, it killed him instantly, Thats feckin bad luck . :blink:

I'm using 42g No.3 at the moment. The amount of times I've let charlie run when I've had 32g No.6 in for the pigeons is heartbreaking :D

Wasn't there a survey done a couple of years back that found that 1's and 3's were the most efficient for fox control?

Totaly agrea baldie!

Only a man with little experience would shoot foxes with 5s and 6s.

Maximum BBs,No1s are excellent out to 40yds.Ive tried SSGs and SGs Deerstalker,and found that the pattern is way too thin at anything over 20yds to consistently hit foxes in a critical areas.In my opinion the ultimate fox cartridge is a 36gram,maximum BB cartridge shot out of 3/4 and full choked barrels!!!

Totally agree with most of what has been said on this topic.

I was on a fox drive last winter and we put up a fox next to a copsed pond. As he broke across the field, one of the guns put two barrels into him at about 25 yards. Charlie jumped when hit but continued to run at almost full tilt to the safety of the next wood.

The gun couldn't believe it and was geuinely amazed that he hadn't rolled him over as he was sure he had hit him. I asked him what # shot he was using and he said 6's and 7's - what a fu**ing muppet. :angry: I gave him a couple of #1's and the odd disdainful comment too.......

Snelly.