help my dog is a little f**ker

hi all can anyone lead me in the right direction i have a 18 month old wheaten x lagona whippet i have had him 3 months now i am having trouble with him when i take him out on the lamp he is a good lamping dog untill he miss the rabbit he gos into a strop and wont come back to me he will run off and i takes about 20 min to get him back he knows he has done wrong because when he comes back he hangs his head in shame ?

but when he do's get a rabbit all he want to do is crush ever bone in the rabbits body and when you walk to him to retrive it from him he wont give it up he will run about 15 feet from me that last for about 10 to 15 mins its like he is persevie ??? and he has no road sence ? i walk he ever day for a hour or more and making stop and sit at roads so he is getting better with roads?

so if anyone could give me some info and tips to get him out of his bad habbits would be a great help many thanks robbo

Dont sound like a good lamp dog to me, sounds a complete pain in the arse! I think you just found out the reason why the last owner got rid mate. And I was moaning about my ten month pup not coming back for a min or two after missing a rabbit. I'd get rid and start again with pup mate. Think your fighting a losing battle there hence why the last guy got shot of it. Good luck

id say the last fella hardly had the dog on the lamp at 3months :huh: imo the dog hasnt bonded fully with you.how did his retrieve training go?i think you will find it very hard to reverse your dogs bad traits at this stage not impossible though.why dont you try leave him out on a long lead when lamping that way you can stop him hunting up.best of luck