advice for controlling my pup please

I have a 6 month old patterdale/lakeland pup, who is very well tempered, out walking she is fine plays well with other dogs and comes back when i call. until she sees something to chase birds feeding, rabbits anything, after that her attitude changes and she will not listen or come back near me just keeps looking for more stuff to chase (she has never caught or killed anything).

Would anyone have any advice to get her to come back or better still stop chasing? I dont want to tell her off when she eventually comes back as im not sure if she'll think she is being told of for coming back.

Thank you

She will get there in the end mate it's just like telling a baby not to do something buy the sounds of your doing ever thing u should be but when u are out give it a try if she runs away don't run after her go in the other way she will start to learn she is probes running away if your going to get her she should learn that your not going to chase after her hope it will help mate

That's a hard one! My patt's do same some days- no problems til prey drive kicks in- oddly only the dogs do it, bitches come back no matter what!! Long lead'll do the trick- tracking one 30' then she'll get used to not been able to run- careful though with whip lash, might need little harness til she's got used to the lead... Might help- worked with one of my bitches. Terriers are terriers after all so might just have t live with it!! Good luck!

Probably posted on the wrong site here as it's how a working dog should be.. Never the less keep it on a long lead when it sees the small furrys in order to keep control of ya dog and walk it past with a tug on the lead and a correction of no when it shows any interest! The dog was bred for this and if it's not your cup of tea may be best to give it a working home.. All the best..

Probably posted on the wrong site here as it's how a working dog should be.. Never the less keep it on a long lead when it sees the small furrys in order to keep control of ya dog and walk it past with a tug on the lead and a correction of no when it shows any interest! The dog was bred for this and if it's not your cup of tea may be best to give it a working home.. All the best..

Thanks sounds like a long lead then, she will be a working dog so it is the right site, she has come ferreting with me several times and has very little interest in them. I just want to see if i can stop her going off into the horizon whilst she is still young.

If this dogs to be worked I wouldn't be correcting the prey drive and use a long lead as a last resort.. If it's for rabbiting (as its been ferreting) don't put it off chasing them.. I'd work on re enforcing the recall..! If the dogs onto something nothing will bring it back to you most of the time til it's satisfied it's own interest! It's all a choice of where and when to let it off the lead.. Terriers eh..!

my bitch was the same as a puppy,she would chase blackbirds in the garden/pigeons any small prey shes 19moth old now and she doesn't chase birds anymore but if we are our working and she gets her head down on a scent forget it mate GONE till shes ready to come back but always comes back now

good luck and have a lot of patience's ur gonna need it