Pest cotrol way down south

Guest Scuba1

Guest Scuba1

As you probably know by now, I live on Tenerife on a vine yard and the owner of this place has a problem with the thousands of lizards eating the grapes of the vines. Now I am quite partial to a nice glass of red now and again myself and don't want that stuff going down some reptile. The owner of this place put down a lot of poison some time ago with the result that his doge where eating the lizards and 2 of the dogs snuffed it. I and my snakes have the bunny problem pretty much under control now and he was chatting to me while I was zeroing in the new scope. To cut a long story short, we agreed, that if he buys the pellets, I'll do some lizard plinking. So out I went at noon today and shot 183 lizards in 2 hours. He was well pleased and took the largr ones out of the heap for the BBQ ( yes, you did read that right ) He is going to buy pellets in bulk for me now I think.

When it cooled of a bit this evening I had a climb down in to one of the barancos to look for bunnys , I spotted one about 150m to my right and about 70m below me, so I went down the rock to get a bit closer. when I was about 70 to 80 m of he spotted me and made himself small in one of the cracks of the cliff, so with just the head showing there was no danger of just wounding him and I took the shot. At fisrt I thought that I missed him but having another look through the scope, I saw a red dot on the neck and he never flinched. The pellet went rght throug the spine. I had to make my way back up the cliff in the dark, as we don´t have a long period of dusk here ( there must be a switch somewhere ) and now I am going to make a sling for that rifle, as with a torch in one hand, rifle in the other and a bunny to take home I was a bit short of hands. All in all a nice day of.

Guest Scuba1
What speceise are these grape guzzling lizards, mate?

Its a canarian wall lizard ( gallotia galoti ) here is a pic of a female. They are omnivores and will eat anything that is not nailed down.

The good thing is, the have a " target spot " behind the eye already " painted" on that makes hitting the right spot easier.

Edited by Scuba1
Guest Scuba1
Tenerife you say......do THL members get discount holidays :whistle: :whistle: :laugh:

Unfortunately i don´t work in the tourist trade as such, but if someone on here wants to spend a holiday out here away from the tourist traps that are Los Cristianos and Las Americas, I do know a few people that rent out bungalows in a quieter part of the island for vry reasonable money.

HTH

Michael

Guest Scuba1
I'll be there shortly for me dose of sun and sand....... :D

You bring the eyelets for the rbit snares and I´ll sort out a night out :clapper::clapper:

You have my number ( I do own a pub )

Atb

Michael