My lurcher pup Doesn't listen to recall when people or dogs around. Alone he walks by my side or close by off lead comes back to foot on demand but soon as he sees other dogs or people he bolts off not listening to my command. it ended up he ran over to the wrong dogs last week and was attacked by 2 weiramers I was too far away and the dogs was too strong for owner to control when my dog got free there was some serious damage costing me 400 quid.

Will he grow out of this stage or can it be trained?

one of my dogs was the same mate so after trying the recall for agers and not working i used my shock collar 2 outings and on low power it worked but if you use an e collar you must no what you are doing with one as it is quite easy to send the dog the other way pac dog.com wil help you

My old dog did the same when he was a pup drove me up the wall at times he would run a mile sniff a dogs arse then back again but the obvious dangers are the other dog could grip hold of yours or even turn him into a fighter that won't work with other dogs luckily as my old boy starting getting more into his work he stopped chasing other dogs but this was after 12 month of hard graft with him so if it's a instant cure you need then the e collar is the way but I reckon he will grow out of it in time with training.

Edited by mat_p

You may find that his run-in with the Weimaraners has already cured this problem for you. If it hasn't try walking your dog on a lead. My dog walks off lead most of the time but if I see other dogs the lead goes back on. Eventually it'll learn what is expected of it. There's no shame in walking your dog on a lead, especially if it saves you a £400 vet bill.

Shock collars really are the absolute last resort. There is a danger it'll turn your dog into a nervous wreck that is terrified of other dogs and refuses to leave your side, ever.

Edited by Mooch.

My lurcher pup Doesn't listen to recall when people or dogs around. Alone he walks by my side or close by off lead comes back to foot on demand but soon as he sees other dogs or people he bolts off not listening to my command. it ended up he ran over to the wrong dogs last week and was attacked by 2 weiramers I was too far away and the dogs was too strong for owner to control when my dog got free there was some serious damage costing me 400 quid.

Will he grow out of this stage or can it be trained?

You need to make yourself more interesting to your pup in the short term, in the long term he'll grow out of it once you start working him and he knows what his job is,

he's running off because he looking to hook up and play with other canines or humans,

shocking him wont do much for the relationship between you, although i can see the logic in it,

work on the bond through play, it will pay back greater in the long run than the quick fix,

i like to use a long lead too so the pup can have a feeling of freedom, you can get really long ones online, when he gets used to having one on even at some distance from you he thinks you still have control, its great for working on recall when he's some distance away, but you will still need to make it worth the pup's while coming to you,

best of luck bud,