Should I have to oil the stock of a new gun?

Been told to oil my stock with Walnut oil and to do it by hand. I looked on youtube and the videos I've seen show people sanding the stocks down.

My gun is a MK70 with a grade 5 stock. Will it have been oiled already or should I do it?

Bit unsure of what to do as I don't want to make a mess of it but with the amount of rain we've had I want it to be protected if I take it out.

I could stick some picks up tomorrow if that would help?

Cheers

Nick

i was abit wary of oiling mine, but in the end just gave it a few coats of stock oil and went with the grein,rubbed it with the grein untill hot,left it etc. i used ballistol stock oil, brought the grein out,with a matt finish and didnt darken the wood too much all in all,

i was stuck on which oil to use...some darken the whole wood, some dont, some leave a matt finish some dont..just be carefull which you use lol

Thanks for the replies guys...not sure if it is already treated/oiled, it does have something on the wood but I am not sure if that is to protect or just make it look nice.

p.s If you read my other post this gun is destined for being used as a cricket bat soon :D

Not going to harm your stock, but you might find that the stock isn't oiled at all but varnished. A mate of mine used to spend hours waxing his stock, only to find out that underneath all the wax was varnish!! If you do want to use Walnut oil, then go to Tesco as you can buy half a litre for a few £'s as apposed to buying 10ml for a gun shop for even more £'s. The Tesco stuff is food grade and 100% pure Walnut oil.

John

• 2 weeks later...

If your gun is brand new I would have thought it would be ok

I got my gun second hand and when I got my gun the bloke in the shop suggested I bought some.

Every night for about a month I rubbed a tiny bit in with my hands then leave it in the cabinet to dry and soak it up for a day,

I also used a tooth brush on the checkerin to keep it grippy

Must say the first few times I did it I saw no difference but it really bought the grain out.

I only do it now when it’s got wet, it's a boring soul destroying job but worth it in the end

atb

Fenton