great day out

stoaty1

Went out the other day on a permission I haven't been on for a few years. I had a young female Harris and a Sporting Lucas terrier with me who hasn't really impressed me to date. My mate had his female and his young pointer with him. Place was loaded with rabbits. First area we tried was an old marsh which has dried out. Covered in reeds and long grass. We chucked the birds up into the surrounding trees and sent in the dogs. My terrier was mooching round and suddenly moved up a gear as he flushed a rabbit. Both birds came crashing down but missed due to the cover. Great flight though. It was like someone had flicked a switch in the dogs mind. No cover was too thick. He worked like a pro. Flushing rabbits from massive bramble patches and giving positive marks on warrens. Both birds chased really hard but due to the thickness of the cover catches were really hard to come by. Some how it didn't matter. Its always nice to catch but when you have a dog working amazingly, especially when you had written him off, and birds crashing down sometimes mere feet from you it really didnt matter. My mates Pointer wasn't going to let a terrier steal all the glory though and worked really hard as well. Sure beats being in work.

regards, Ian

really enjoyed the day, oscar was top notch!!

hard running bunnies (we got three out of lord knows how many flushed/bolted) in very tight woods and brambles.

glad you rememered your hip flask !!!

p.s.

very pleased with mo's progress,she did well again today under the bird ( and is tired as hell now..... just how a seven month old slovak should be !!!!!!).

• 4 weeks later...