BSA.. mercury

hi buddy

I have done a couple of refurbs on the BSA Meteor,cost me around £60.00 for the parts,the rest was sweat and tears!

I still have one of them,so I am keeping hold it it!

as for selling it I dont think I would get much change out of £70.00 its self!

Davy

is it one of the later models with the blued cylinder and barrel Eddy? the older models was painted. don't quote me on this but I think its the MK3 onwards that came with the blueing and also the "S" versions :thumbs:.

Is is .177 or .22?

i cant belive that pal, must have took you some time but it looks mint, i wish you lived near me id ask you to do mine, before i looked at new posts i took my mercury to gun shop, i dont know what mark it is ill let you know when i get it back but its a .22, its not in bad nick to look at but they tested it for me and its only doing 3ft pound, i left it with them to put new washers and a spring in it so should be ok when i get it back,,,,,exelant job you did.

i cant belive that pal, must have took you some time but it looks mint, i wish you lived near me id ask you to do mine, before i looked at new posts i took my mercury to gun shop, i dont know what mark it is ill let you know when i get it back but its a .22, its not in bad nick to look at but they tested it for me and its only doing 3ft pound, i left it with them to put new washers and a spring in it so should be ok when i get it back,,,,,exelant job you did.

hi buddy

yeah I know it took some time,but all worth it in the end!

your rifle is in good hands now! keep us updated when you get it back!

Davy

is it one of the later models with the blued cylinder and barrel Eddy? the older models was painted. don't quote me on this but I think its the MK3 onwards that came with the blueing and also the "S" versions :thumbs:.

Is is .177 or .22?

Any Idea?

Is is .177 or .22?

Any Idea?

hi jasper ive just got it back it dosent say a mark on it, but it looks like its painted black, any idea how old it is mate.the black metal is original black paint.

Hi Eddy

What is the prefix on your serial# ?

It should be one of these for 22cal..

Z MERCURY MK1 0.22 1971/73

ZB MERCURY MK2 0.22 1974/78

ZC MERCURY MK3 0.22 1978---

The mk1 and mk2 have one piece cocking links and the mk3 has an articulated type (as does the Challenger and I believe the 'S')

Here's my mk2 (ZB)

riflebsamercury.jpg

I also have a Mercury Challenger in 22 cal (ZD)..

The middle one of these three..

AM1.jpg

The Challenger was a bit more refined than the standard Merc, it had a proper barrel axis bolt rather than just a pin so that sideways movement of the barrel could be adjusted out, the stock was also a bit better with a more pronounced cheekpiece...

Cheers, John :bye:

Hello John

What a lovely collection of Mercury's and the Airsporter S :thumbs:. I had one of the first Airsporter S's in the late 70's earley 80's, I even picked up another in the late 80's called a Airsporter RB2 which had a slightly different cocking lever catch which was disapointingly made of plastic, this gun had a rounded forend which looked nice and neat but it wasn't built to the standard as the first "S" I had.

I also had a Mercury S when I was a lad which was offered back to me a few years ago as the guy still kept it, the problem was he wanted big bucks for it and I wasn't prepared to pay the sort of money he wanted. it was a shame as I would have loved the same gun back I had when I was a kid...

this is the gun when he brought it round, it still had a white spacer in the recoil pad I fitted as a lad and a old Terry Robb PTFE piston washer :thumbs:

the old BSA Mercury's and Airsporters was my favourite rifle and still is when it comes to springers..

Cheers, Jasp

post-251-0-23999100-1324078221.jpg

post-251-0-62672700-1324078250.jpg

hi jasper ive just got it back it dosent say a mark on it, but it looks like its painted black, any idea how old it is mate.the black metal is original black paint.

Hello Eddy

sounds like one of the early one's, definitley worth doing up mate. they're a real classic in their own right, took more head of quarry with a .177 Mercury that any other gun to this day :thumbs:...

Jasp

Hello John

What a lovely collection of Mercury's and the Airsporter S :thumbs:. I had one of the first Airsporter S's in the late 70's earley 80's, I even picked up another in the late 80's called a Airsporter RB2 which had a slightly different cocking lever catch which was disapointingly made of plastic, this gun had a rounded forend which looked nice and neat but it wasn't built to the standard as the first "S" I had.

I also had a Mercury S when I was a lad which was offered back to me a few years ago as the guy still kept it, the problem was he wanted big bucks for it and I wasn't prepared to pay the sort of money he wanted. it was a shame as I would have loved the same gun back I had when I was a kid...

this is the gun when he brought it round, it still had a white spacer in the recoil pad I fitted as a lad and a old Terry Robb PTFE piston washer :thumbs:

the old BSA Mercury's and Airsporters was my favourite rifle and still is when it comes to springers..

Cheers, Jasp

Hi Jasper (what a fantastic name 8) )

The bottom rifle in my pic is an RB2 Airsporter , the RB stands for Rotary Breech (which i'm sure you knew), it's the same breech as the BSA SUperstar..

Always fancied a Centeniary Airsporter but one turned up for £385 and I turned it down, the chap sent me a message thanking me as he sold it for £550 :icon_redface:

I love the real BSA Springers (before they became Spanish) and recently have been searching them out more than any other makes..

Here's a few more Airsporters..

rifleAirsportermk1and2s-1.jpg

Cheers, John :bye: