RIP little hunter.

As most of you know; I have quite a big ferret court with all sorts of things in it to keep them busy. This evening I heard a strange noise and checked all of my ferrets; one was no where to be seen. After lost of searching i discovered that one of my hobs was stuck in the tubing I have leading into their feeding area. God only knows how long he'd been stuck but i had been in the court with them this morning and nothing was a miss. It was as if he was folded in half. He was still alive when I actually managed to get him out but he died on the way to the vets. Ive used 100mm drainage tubing for years and this is the first time anything like this has happened. Just a word to the wise; anyone using tubes just be careful. Poor little soul hadn't even had a chance on rabbit as he was only born in August this year. Im totally gutted.

Seems like he got stuck trying to turn around in the tube. 100mm diameter tubes/drainage pipes are a bit tight for decent sized hobs for this reason. Spinal related injuries sadly kill plenty of ferrets, if you do have hobs, best to use 150mm diameter, just in case and to prevent unfortunate outcomes. Sorry to hear about this...poor ferret.

Edited by ferret100

Seems like he got stuck trying to turn around in the tube. 100mm diameter tubes/drainage pipes are a bit tight for decent sized hobs for this reason. Spinal related injuries sadly kill plenty of ferrets, if you do have hobs, best to use 150mm diameter, just in case and to prevent unfortunate outcomes. Sorry to hear about this...poor ferret.

I Really wish Id known that before today. Hopefully others reading this will take good advice. I feel so bad about it. Poor little soul. I'll never forget the look on his face when I shone a torch into the tube and saw where he was. :cray:

I Really wish Id known that before today. Hopefully others reading this will take good advice. I feel so bad about it. Poor little soul. I'll never forget the look on his face when I shone a torch into the tube and saw where he was. :cray:

Accidents happen to all of us. Even with the best intentions, sometimes things go wrong. You clearly seem to take excellent care of your ferrets, this was just unlucky. Abt and try not to beat yourself up about it. We all live and learn. Take care.

• Like 1