GREYHOUND PUP.

Guest Frank

Guest Frank

Ok, this has been up before, but for the life of me, i cant find it. :blink:

Anyone out their, who has had a pure grey from a pup, 7 to 12 weeks and raised it as a lurcher?

Reason i ask is because, i have over the last couple of days, been to a couple of greyhound kennels and it seems, all dogs are never off the lead, only when training in a pen or racing. Apparently, they have no sence and run off and dont come back when called. :blink:

I think this is down to them not having individual attention, on a one to one, like you would with a lurcher pup. I reckon, if you get a grey from a young pup and bond with it, train it ect, it would be obidient. :hmm:

Any experinces ect, would be great. :victory:

Cheers all, :drink:

Frank.

had several young dogs and ran them with the lurchers , al right for a bit of fun and well if the grounds good ,never took much coaxing to kill foxes cats etc caught several lamped rabbs with one and a few hares then i bred her, then i got a good home for her ,like all fast speed merchants that are pure good ground needed not rough shitty ground

Guest Lurcherbitch

Some Greyhounds can be trained at any age, homed loads that are off lead...depends on background and temprament...like any breed ;) Got a mate who owns one that stared in the film 'man about dog' this dog was a track dog, ended up in a pound...was worth a bloody fortune and owned by someone well known, then thrown away.... Put the work in mate most will come good ;)

Some Greyhounds can be trained at any age, homed loads that are off lead...depends on background and temprament...like any breed ;) Got a mate who owns one that stared in the film 'man about dog' this dog was a track dog, ended up in a pound...was worth a bloody fortune and owned by someone well known, then thrown away.... Put the work in mate most will come good ;)

ive had a couple as a kid from pups ive lamped em and caught 20 pluses with em on a regular basis took moutain hares with em on the lamp they used to jump five bar gates and fences i wont pick no dog over they are not my cup of tea now but if they are brought up as lurchers they dont know any different

A sound not too big grey that has been well trained from pup and that has a lot of field experience, knows how to handle barbed wire, hedges, rough ground and steady with sheep and all can be the most useful dog you ever own I think.

L.

being honest and not dreaming if i thought the greyhound to be good as what youse are saying i would get rid of the lurchers londogs and keep a hutch full of greyhounds to run the winter away , dream on ,there some good ones but all in all there for a stop gap or for breeding lurchers nothing more , they are not bred for stamina now or feet two of the main tributes for a dog to last two or three nights a week lamping ,or day light coursing, ive had good ones but hand picked with a learned freind, who knows the game and he has the choice of several before thye get put to sleep or given to good homes if suitable all the best

Guest Frank

You make sence Whin.

I too, have had a couple of goodens in the past, from the track so to speak, mostly crap, but 2 goodens, but have noticed, even over the last 15 years, that the greyhound is getting more thicker and accident prone.

They are breeding them too fine, with whining in mind.

Still, a carefully chosen greyhound pup, rared carefully like a lurcher and enterd right, would i belive, make a usefull working dog, no great hare killing mut, but usefull and fun. ;)

Frank.

i wouldnt say they are breeding them to fine at all.frank do you want the greyhound for racing or hunting.ive reared my racing greyhounds up pretty similair to lurchers,they come back straight away if recalled,will sit on command and give my misses their paws when asked,but you have to draw the line somewhere between treating them the same as lurchers as greyhounds have to have special attention payed to detail

Guest Lurcherbitch

Got a mate who owns one that stared in the film 'man about dog' this dog was a track dog

Ditto....also bred one who starred in the film.......... :)

Wow small world, my mate owns the star of the show 'Cerberus'. :clapper:

Guest Frank

I would have a greyhound off you fast then Brock, as the kennel i visited yesterday, was far from what you have discribed.

They told me they are just for racing, i was offerd a bitch 2 year old for free, that was mad for chasing hares ect, but not the artificial one on the track.

I asked about when i get to know the dog, would it be fine to let it off the lead ect and was told under no circomstances, that i should, as they are not ment for that? :blink:

Another kennel i visited, had moreless the same attitude.

Frank.