Digging foxes

for me its a dog that will push a fox out for a bolt some of the places i do

its better for all to get a quick bolt my dog has been half dug to we got a mark at 6 feet got to

3 feet and hut a huge granite stone half an hour of calling the dog she

finnaly surfaced. would she have stayed till we dug to her il never know

hopefully this season il get a dig to her. but to me personally a dog that bolts them and stays till dug

only if the need arises is perfect. someone said in j darcys dig deep they

would rather have 1 dig than x amount of bolts im the opposite if i know

my dogs worked her quarry a bit then it bolts thats the one that suits me

and my needs .she self entered at 18 months and i didnt think she was interested

i was digging to another lads dog to a quarry that didnt bolt :ph34r: she just popped down on her own accord id given up trying . but since then she does just enough for me

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so if you had the best in each breed which one is better?

Which one wud you go for?

Think your missing the point mate, There is no one answer, never is for anything :thumbs-up:

Like on the fishing forums I go on, 'whats the best bait?' etc, ats all horses for courses :victory:

Guest foxtrack

the thing with fox dogs not all of them would meet everybodys needs

take a bayer for instance,

two types exist, there's the type that goes to ground bolt a fox out of a arti or a drain

seconds it could take, and these dogs may see a lot of foxes but does this realy make

them good fox dogs ? i dont think so

the next type is the bayer who stays till dug to no nonsense type of dog

may only see ten foxes in a season on ten digs,

but them ten digs may see this dog underground for 60 hours plus

compared to the above dog thats seen 100 plus and only been under

for only 16 hours.

now there's another problem with the staying type ?

it cant be dug to all the times and it wont come out.

so you block up return for day's waiting and when it does come out it's

usualy becouse it so fecked and dehydraated they have no choice

now we come to the hard dog's,

you know the type, the ones that lesser terrier owners slag off,

the type that's two hard for thier own good ?

now this is the type that suits me

ok he may spend a lot of time on the sick and you may not get many digs

out of this type of dog but this type can do all the above but wont stay

for day's on fox and kill's them usualy within the hour

and easy to dig to ,no fuss or nonsense.

i dont know what it is with some people but they seem to think

that a fox is some kind of push over easy game for any terrier

well let me tell youknow'

,that's a load of bollocks i've seen some good dogs retire from a dig

to a fox and that's no bull all i can say only the hard dogs will get you

the results you need with no fuss

the next type is the type that's no good at all ,only good for rabbits

and rat's but i would'ent realy call this terrier work would you /

horse's for course's they say :yes:

Well said foxtrack.

for me its a dog that will push a fox out for a bolt some of the places i do

its better for all to get a quick bolt my dog has been half dug to we got a mark at 6 feet got to

3 feet and hut a huge granite stone half an hour of calling the dog she

finnaly surfaced. would she have stayed till we dug to her il never know

hopefully this season il get a dig to her. but to me personally a dog that bolts them and stays till dug

only if the need arises is perfect. someone said in j darcys dig deep they

would rather have 1 dig than x amount of bolts im the opposite if i know

my dogs worked her quarry a bit then it bolts thats the one that suits me

and my needs .she self entered at 18 months and i didnt think she was interested

i was digging to another lads dog to a quarry that didnt bolt :ph34r: she just popped down on her own accord id given up trying . but since then she does just enough for me

Not digging to your terrier is just lazy no matter how long it takes.

as for your terrier comming of the fox doesnt sound like its worth keeping.

A good digging terrier would definetly be a dog which you can dig to i.e. able to get its quarry into a block end.and not to bolt.

WELL SAID FOXTRACK BUT AS SHOWMANS SAID EVERYBODYS REQIREMENTS ARE DIFFERENT , MYSELF I FAVOUR MY LAKELANDS AS I CAN GET MORE OUT OF THEM THEY SEEM TO ENGAGE THERE BRAIN A BIT MORE I HAVE GOT PATTERDALES AND THEY WORK WELL BUT ARE VERY HARD DOGS AND SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE SICK BAY AND YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHO SEE S THEM FOR OBVIOUS REASONS MY BEDLINGTON IS A GOOD MIX OF THE TWO AND I HAVE HIGH HOPES FOR MY BEDLY- LAKELAND PUP HES MORE THAN KEEN AT 4 MONTHS OLD BUT VERY ANTI SOCIAL BUT WHAT THE HECK HES GOT PLENTY OF GROWING TO DO YET

Guest foxtrack

it's nice to see you like the lakelands

but i dont think they have more brains than a pat or any other type/breed

of terrier each dog to it's own

ive heard a lot of boy's say "and boys who should know better realy"

that them pats are nuts,to hard to head strong

well all i can say is they hav'ent seen many dogs

work below grond

there's good ,bad, mad, and hard in all the stains of terrier

we use in this country ,from a 16" twenty pound pat who bays

all day to the 11" 11 pound russel that kill's almost

every fox it see's but its nice to see you found the type

that suite's you ;)

QUOTE Not digging to your terrier is just lazy no matter how long it takes.

as for your terrier comming of the fox doesnt sound like its worth keeping.

A good digging terrier would definetly be a dog which you can dig to i.e. able to get its quarry into a block end.and not to bolt.

well you obviously know fck all about the granite and the size and thickness of it in my

area it doesnt chip away it just doesnt move.maybe my dog wouldnt be worth keeping for you

but why would i want one that bottles up a fox till i dig to it when sometimes without knowing

there could be a big fckn slab over her and i never see her again so what you class as a good dog would be my idea of a nightmare and personally wouldnt thank you for one! and like i said it suits MY needs perfect

i aint lazy either i have dug to other peoples dogs.. my dog came off the fox cos i called her off

read it properly not cos she lost the bottle. if the need arises would you not want to call your dog off

or aint they trained to come back to you? :tongue2: i suppose why would you need to, when you can go through granite like a hot knife through butter

did you even read what i wrote? it is to my advantage if i can call her out if the possibility of

not being able to dig to her becomes reality and believe me its a possibilty.and that night i thought i

couldnt get to her i was fckn chuffed she came out when i called it took half an hour though.i also said i hope to get a dig to her this year,dig as in right to her if they dont bolt. if that happens id have a dog that bolts them for the bullx will stay if they dont bolt and should the need arise come away if asked.Dont get me wrong id dig all night if i had to but because she comes when asked[eventually] she is not worth having in somes eyes,is very one track minded.like i said i wouldnt want one that stays and never moves its not the right dog for me but in the right hands and area and you just wanted to dig then why have anything less.

the original question was about digging mines obviously not the best for diggin cos it bolts more than it bottles up [proven] i was merely saying how it was for me :D

Guest foxtrack

yes i read the post chay

but in my eye's if you can call a terrier out i dont think

it's hart is made for the job.thats only my oppinion

but if you are happy with them good luck :victory:

but you would now class it as a 100 % worker would'ent you

and you'd breed it to a similar tye of worker and then sell them

pups as from 100% working parents ?

and this is where the problems lstarts second rate worker to second rate worker

= 100% shit.

but thats my opinion if your happy with them best of luck

True foxtrack there is too many people breeding terriers who arent up to standard they shouldnt breed second rate workers.

did you even read what i wrote? it is to my advantage if i can call her out if the possibility of

not being able to dig to her becomes reality and believe me its a possibilty.and that night i thought i

couldnt get to her i was fckn chuffed she came out when i called it took half an hour though.i also said i hope to get a dig to her this year,dig as in right to her if they dont bolt. if that happens id have a dog that bolts them for the bullx will stay if they dont bolt and should the need arise come away if asked.Dont get me wrong id dig all night if i had to but because she comes when asked[eventually] she is not worth having in somes eyes,is very one track minded.like i said i wouldnt want one that stays and never moves its not the right dog for me but in the right hands and area and you just wanted to dig then why have anything less.

the original question was about digging mines obviously not the best for diggin cos it bolts more than it bottles up [proven] i was merely saying how it was for me :D

Well to be honest mate if a dog worth having its worth keeping thats why i wudnt put a terrier into an earth unless iknew i could dig to it. so maybe its not your terrier maybe its you.

foxtrack and ddsr you two are so blinkerd to what im saying.You say terriermen with dogs that that dont stay

until dug to say that hard terriers are shite and wouldnt have one etc etc... but you two are the flip side of

the coin saying a dog like mine which till now has mostly bolted foxes is shit and not worth having..

true if you just want to dig! So some LESSER terriermen as you put it slag hard dogs, does that make you the LESSER terrier men of hard dogs :whistle: full of bravado about your dog that wont come out a hole till dug to and think everything else is shit... c'mon boys im speaking for me and my situation and requirements. I will let you know if i get a dig to her . DDSR why ask for peoples opinions if you already know all the answers and slate them for it when they take the time to reply to your posts [ and i appreciate the post was ref .digging not bolting foxes] no wander folk are put off saying there opinion. :no:

is she 100% worker so far she has done everything i asked but shes not a 100% digging dog